How do I get my 2 year old to stop hurting herself?

I have a 2 year old with Sensory Processing Disorder. She keeps picking at her arms/legs and creating sores that bleed & get infected. I rub neosporin on while she is sleeping but does anyone have ideas to make her stop or can anyone even tell me why she is doing it?

janelleq

Asked by janelleq at 12:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I suggest you talk to her physician. There has to be something they can do for her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• What exactly is that?
    If she can't feel the pain till it gets that far you need to talk to her, hold her hands, make her look in your eyes. Use simple words and make it quick and do it everytime.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree with janelleq....has she been diagnosed by her pedi. with this disorder or is this simply what you think it is? If she has been diagnosed her pedi. should have advised you how to help her deal with it at that time.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• She was diagnosed with this disorder and is very sensitive to things. I haven't figured out what is causing her to do it but she bites herself too. I tell her no and try to explain owie to her but am looking for other ideas. It sometimes helps to ask other people cause they see answers that may be so easy but you don't see, you know
    janelleq

Comment by janelleq (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My daughter has eczema and it comes in patches. She was scratching so bad that it would bleed and become infected. She got impentigo at one point. She tried so hard not to! But she constantly would dig and dig at it! It looked so painful! I worked with my ped on it. It took anti hystamines, hydracoratzone, and keeping the sores covered with bacitracin. Not sure if she was diagnosed or not, but maybe look into a skin condition.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• you should really talk toyou rpedi and ee what she can tell you or what you should be doing i hope she gets better
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• bump and gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have no idea, but good luck. Have you tried asking a group that deals with children who have the same disorder??
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i agree that i would talk to the DR about it,... i have no idea.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Put gloves on her? ... not sure, talk to the dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010