Do you think that Christopher Columbus Day should be abolished?

Condsidering the fact that he never actually discovered the physical United States of America, was a slave trader and murderer of hundreds of thousands indegenious people, and whose own people rebeled against him for harsh treatment and was sent back to Spain in chains?

How many of us actually know the truth?

MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 2:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • I think it is sick and disgusting to revel in the genocidal conquest of the Americas. I do not observe Columbus Day.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 2:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree that it should be abolished. I am Native American, and this holiday is ridiculous.
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 2:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I am Native American and I have never recognized Columbus Day. He is a murderer and did not even discover the US. Indigenous people were here before him. Because of his cruelty so many Indigenous peoples have perished. It should be abolished and never considered a holiday again.
    aserran4

Answer by aserran4 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• No!! I don't actually celebrate Columbus day. I always thought it was stupid, but it sometimes falls on my birthday and its nice to have my birthday off sometimes!
    Anonymous

• Yes, it's an idiotic holiday. Aside from all the other points everyone made, it's not like people are sitting home pondering and appreciating Columbus on that day. At least, I hope not...

But, you know, it IS nice to have an extra day off. What if we just call it "Miniature Poodle Appreciation Day"?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 2:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• who really celebrates columbus day anyway? i dont see it any place where i live. its just another day.
    Anonymous

• I don't know anyone that really "celebrates" it anyway. Many Italian americans would freak though!! LOL
    there was an episode of the Sopranos that mentioned it!! LOL

Christopher didn't discover anything, there were people already here.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I think all holidays like Columbus Day, Presidents Day, MLK day and any of the other lame holidays should be done away with. I am also tired of the awareness weeks and months for things.
    Anonymous

• Just to pladevils advocate:
    the writers of the constitution and some of the presidents have had and traded slaves ...should we throw away the constitution? it advocated slavery
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2008