My 18 month old son cries until he pukes. Help?

My son River throws horrible temper tantrums to the point of actually puking all over the place. I need to break this habit as his sister is due in December. I'm just so frustrated that I'm the only diciplinarian and he's gotten so spoilt because my husbands parents let him run wild then when I discipline him they immediately begin to sooth him. I've just moved over 1600 miles away from them and am battling the damage. My husband doesn't have the heart to swat a fly let alone our son. I was raised by the belt if you know what I mean. So swating him seems to just make it worse, ignoring him doesn't help, and the smell when he does puke almost makes me puke! Sorry, I did do a little venting earlier but I feel if they had not spoilt him so bad I wouldn't be in this situation.

Oktobre

Asked by Oktobre at 1:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was in the same spot you're in last year, My son was also 18 months,and I was also due in Dec. My now two and a half year old! use to puke when upset also. I couldn't really figure out why he did it. His Dr. said some kids just do. he hasn't done it in months now. Unfortunately Its something I had to let him kind of grow out of, I had spanked him for it and that made him puke more. After finding out spanking made it worse, I just calmly explain things to him, and put him in his room, and then calmly tell him why he went there. He had done it at bedtime too before, thats a really long story to tell you how I un-did it. Long story short, it took a lot of time and patience. Good luck and congrats on your new little one.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:26 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• how long has this been going on?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Best way to handle a tantrum is to ignore it. Just walk away. Puke or no puke, walk away. But try to figure out what usually sparks the tantrum, because there may actually be something that your son is needing or wanting that is very normal for a kid his age to want from a parent. If you were "raised by the belt" as you say, then you may not be as sensitive of a parent as your husband. You don't have to spoil your son, but try to be kind. He is little. He has needs and not a lot of ways to ask for them to be met.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• He's 18 months old, spanking won't work. I have an 18 month old also and they simply don't understand action/consequence yet. Pick your battles, number one. As far as discipline- it depends what he's doing. He may also have a medical condition. My SIL step son has horrible acid reflux problems and spits up any time he cries. He's only 10 months old, but it could be possible for an older child as well. Try to distract him. If he's an only chld now, spend more time doing things with him. Read, teach him to color, or get him one of those little penguin punching bag things- you hit them and they fall over and pop back up- could be what he needs. lol Worked for my nephew and he's 2. He may just be tired and cranky, he could be teething, any number of things. Don't be too quick to think he's just being a brat, eliminate any other possiblities before using physical discipline- that could escalate it further. Good Luck!!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:26 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• ummm. have you tried timeout.? My daughter HATES it..i don't know that an 18mo really would understand spanking. I am not against spanking your kids, but I just think an 18mo doesn't have the emotional or mental capacity to understand why they are getting hit..so yeah it would make it worse in my opinion. Try timeout..try taking away a favorite toy for a day and stay calm while you are doing it and explain the situation and why you are doing it..it may take a few times, but he will get the hint and the less you fired up about it the better it will be for everyone involoved.
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's been going on for about a week and has been getting progressivily worse. Today he did it twice. He's on acid reflux medicine but that's because at night when we laid him down he would just vomit all over the place with out crying and no warning. So I know this is pure temper.
    Oktobre

Comment by Oktobre (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• During a tantrum, make sure your child is safe and not endangering others. If you need to take your child into a safe area, do it quickly without raising your voice while telling your child you are taking him to a safe area. If your child tries to hurt himself or others, or attempts to go somewhere dangerous, it may be necessary to gently hold him still.

Do not talk to him except to say you will let him go when he is calm. Ignore the behavior, even vomiting, as long as your child is safe. If your child's tantrum is from frustration, you may tell him you will help him when he is calm.

When the tantrum has stopped, calmly ask your child if she would like you to help her clean up, put on fresh clothes and rinse his mouth. It is important that your response is matter-of-fact and neither angry nor comforting so you are not rewarding the behavior. Give your child a bath or movie time to calm him down.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• this situation could have happened not matter what.
    he's just little, sometimes kids run into things that they just need time to grow out of.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• He's got the peguin punching bag. The stuff he wants are things he doesn't need. Ex: glass candles, getting into cleaning supplies under the cabinate (child proof locked up), and other dangerous items. I keep them out of reach and out of sight. He does stuff he knows he shouldn't so I have to get onto him. I try to distract him but once his mind is set I can't make him stop. He doesn't watch tv and I cuddle and play with him constantly. He knows where the things he doesn't need are at. I don't immediately spank him. I do the 123 count first and if he's messing with me when I say 1 he says 2!
    Oktobre

Comment by Oktobre (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I FEEL YOUR PAIN.MY CHILD IS 12 YEARS OLD AND WHEN SHE GETS REALY UPSET WITH ME OR HER DAD SHE DOES THAT.I BELIVE SHE DOES IT ON PURPOSE.YES THE GRANDPARENTS SOLD NOT HAVE BABYED HIM SO MUCH WHEN YOU WERE TRYING TO MAKE HIM MINED YOU.I HATE THAT WHEN MY MOTER TRYIES TO OVER RIDE WHATS I SAY TO MY KIDS. IF HE KEEPS DONG THIS YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE HIM TO SEE A DR.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 2:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2010