My 2nd grader has a lot of anxiety about starting school.......

My 7 yr old son just started 2nd grade this fall and he has a lot of anxiety. He started school on Wednesday and every day this week he could not sleep because he was so nervous and he would throw up several times. However, it eases a bit on the way to school and he seems fine once we get there. Any ideas on how to help him calm down??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in

• what is it that's making him so nervous? maybe he's being bullied and they've warned him not to tell.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I had seperation anxiety in second-third- and even fourth grade. I would cry the night before school would start back up (we went year round so i had 3 weeks off, 9 weeks on) and in order to get any sleep i would beg my mom to let me sleep in her room on the floor. when we got to school i would stand in front of her car and cry so she couldnt drive away. i didnt get teased or anything beforehand so i don't know why i acted that way. just seperation anxiety. it helped me to bring a lovey to school. i hid my teddy bear in my backpack. and when someone saw me with it i didnt get made fun of, everyone thought it was so cool they started bringing one too! maybe some comfort from home might help your son? i hope so...
    bossyboots114

Answer by bossyboots114 at 2:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think bossy has a good idea with the comfort item. My friend told me 1-3rd grade all she did was cry because she wanted to be home
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:19 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If your school has a counselor, I would alert him/her to the situation so that they can help your child while he is at school.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Take him out for a treat one night and tell him about your feelings the first week of school.

When he gets home from school, have a snack and sit down with him for homework time.

In the morning sit down with him for breakfast and listen to him.

Routine.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would set up a routine in the mornings and evenings, so he feels his home life is as structured as school is. That would help him adjust to getting off his summer schedule. I would also call and mention it to the counselor and maybe the teacher, so they know that something is going on.

If this continues for more than several weeks, I would see his pediatrician too. He might have an anxiety disorder... those often pop up around his age.

Talk to him, listen to him, tell him how proud you are that he is a big kid going to second grade. Try and give him a little extra love these first few weeks... but I think he just needs some time to adjust.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• talk with him to find out what's goin on.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Definitely talk to him to find out what's going on. Talk to his teacher and let her know so she can help him through this, too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My son cries every year and this year, 2nd grade is no different. I reach out to the school Psychologist and the teacher so we can come up with a plan together to make this transition as painless as possible. This year, my son gets to write me notes from the teachers desk to let me know how he is. I send in a note with each lunch and inside his lunch box is a picture of all of us. The teacher reminds him that everyday is like going to a birthday party in her class and he should bring his smile. The counsler meets my son off the bus to walk him in. Unless we drive him that is. It's working and it will take about 2 weeks but I know he will be fine. And yes, keep talking to them.
    mom4love702

Answer by mom4love702 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ask him if theres a problem
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

Next question in
AHSD

Next question overall (Travel)
Have you been to Legoland in California?