How do I help my son not be afraid of pooping on the potty?

My son is two and a half, and has proven to me he is ready to try potty training. He tells me when he needs to go, and he does. He's very happy to wee on the toilet. But hes terrified of pooping on it. He has pooped on it a few times and I tell him what a good boy he is. And hes totally proud after the deed is done. But getting there is rather difficult. He gets a diaper still outside of the house and at bedtime. So he holds in his poop until one of those times comes. Sometimes he can't hold it in, which is when I step in and try soothing him and encouraging. But he just gets so upset over it I can't think of how to explain to him its nothing to be afraid of. Any thoughts?

Amelia512

Asked by Amelia512 at 2:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you find out let me know. My baby is trying to go but refuses to poop.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 2:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Could be the splashing of water on his bottom when he poops...try using a potty chair that is just a bowl. More to clean up, but will get the desired result eventually. Or just try placing some toilet paper in the water so when he does poop it won't splash. My kids have been potty trained a while, but they stick their little butts clear down into the toilet so it doesn't have as far to drop! LOL Good Luck! :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• WILL MY SON WAS THE SAME WAY WHEN HE WAS THAT AGE. YOU MAY WANT TO GO BYE A BOOK THAT YOU CAN READ TO HIM OR I THINK THIER IS A D.V.D. OUT THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THEM 2 IDEAS OUT.I HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU OUT.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 2:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• hmmm. My son had constipation problems and potty trained early for pooping. He always got red faced a few minutes before and that made it easy to judge when he needed to go. But if your son's stools are harder it may be hurting him a little- especially if he's trying to hold it. Try upping his juice intake- 100% juice, or increase his fiber maybe?
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 2:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• my oldest was that way. We bribed him with Popsicles. It worked.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Well he actually has a kids potty thats the only thing he has pooped on. He does have a potty seat that goes on the big potty, and he love that to pee in, but he hasn't pooped in the bog toilet yet. Just his little one a few times, and only because he couldn't hold it any longer. =(
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 2:28 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I read his books to him while he sits there. I have sat reading for 45 minutes until he says his but hurts. lol. Or do you mean a book about potty training?
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 2:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• No, his poop is normal. He just is afraid of it for some reason.
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 2:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• See I give him 'nummies' and still he is afraid. I have tried giving them while hes on, watching tv while he sits, reading, talking, waiting, going every 20 minutes to try again. Hes just afraid. I guess I was hoping someone had already done this. =( thanks tho to everyone.
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2010