Making cookies with whole wheat flour

I made some whole wheat peanut butter cookies last week and was disappointed in them. The flavor and texture were just blah - I like a chewy cookie but these were crunchy just like store bought cookies. I don't know if it was a bad recipe, or if it was just the way whole wheat cookies are. Do you have a terrific whole wheat cookie recipe that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'd love to try it again, but this time with a recipe I know other people have tried and liked. Any type of cookie is ok - I am an equal opportunity cookie lover! Thanks!

getrealmama

Asked by getrealmama at 2:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• you have to acquire the taste for whole wheat flour, once you do you will not go back to white flour...I use whole wheat flour as if it were the white flour and it is something we have become so used to that my kids hate stuff made with white flour
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:56 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It wasn't the WW flour that made them crunchy, it was either the recipe or they were overcooked (which is especially easy to do with peanut butter cookies.) The main cooking difference with WW flour is that it has less available gluten, which isn't a problem if you're making cookies, only if you're making things that need gluten formation, like breads. If you're not used to WW flour, try looking for "white wheat" flour at your supermarket. It's lighter textured than standard whole wheat, but it is whole wheat, just from a particular strain of wheat that has softer hulls.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I recommend using recipes developed specially for whole wheat flour
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cookies-and-bars
    they've tested them out and found just the right balance :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I've had great luck using whole wheat flour for cookies. I think it may just be the recipe you are using.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Thank you guys!! I will try again with a different recipe next time. It was very hard to tell when those cookies were done, since they didn't really change color as they baked, so it's likely I overcooked them. Thanks for the tips. I love to bake and by switching to whole wheat flour at least I can feel a little less guilty about it, hehe.
    getrealmama

Comment by getrealmama (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I only make 1 kind of cookie - my family LOVES them, and I change it up by adding chocolate chips or raisins, or making bar cookies. Here's the link:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Here are my personal tweaks: I use Imperial stick margarin instead of shortening. I use a whole jar of peanut butter (1.5 cups is almost the whole jar anyway) and to offset that I sprinkle in just a little extra flour & some extra oatmeal. I use a scoop and don't flatten - they'll bake up beautifully but when I tried flattening them I had to almost chisel them off the pan. If I make bars I use crunchy pb. The batch is huge - if I make it into bars, it makes a 9x13 AND a jelly roll pan (11x15?). If I use my 1Tablespoon scoop for all, I get around 120 cookies - if I use 2T I get about 60 - I usually do some of each. I love them with mini chocolate chips, kids love them with raisins! (con't)
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't time them - I watch them, and when the tops just stop looking wet they're perfect - soft, but with just a touch of "crunch" around the edge. They store really well - if they don't get eaten that quick, they last over a week and don't get funky, stale, dry, anything - they're just as good on day 7 as they are straight from the oven. They're not delicate, so they travel well, and they also freeze well. I feel better about my kids eating these than other cookies, because of the oatmeal, pb, and ww flour - yeah, there's still the sugar & margarine but I kind of overlook that ;o). Everyone asks me to make them all the time - it's been too hot to bake them more than once this summer though! LMK what you think, if you try them!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Whole wheat pastry flour is softer, and better for baking.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010