back to the crib, toddler bed, twin bed???

We put my now 19 month old in a toddler bed about two months ago because we needed the crib for our 4 month old baby... well, her and her 4 yr old sister now share a room because big brother started school this year. Almost every night, my 4 yr old will come down crying because little sister gets in her bed, sits on her pillow, pulls her hair etc. I felt it was too early for the toddler bed, but she did sooo well at first. Now I'm determing if I should put her back in a crib? She loves to climb though and I'm scared she'll get hurt if we do... I honestly think she wants a 'big' bed like big sister has- twin size, but I don't think I can convince my husband to buy a twin size bed for our 19 month old. Although they have a lot of jealousy issues...so maybe that's the solution....?? IDK! Any helpful advice?

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 2:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she getting into her bed BEFORE they fall asleep or is she waking in the night and getting in it? If it's before they fall asleep then maybe get the younger one to sleep before putting the 4yr old to bed. If it's during middle of the night then It could be that if you switch her to a twin bed, she will stop waking in the night which would eliminate her getting into big sisters bed. Either way, I don't think I would switch back to the crib

I have a 19 month old as well. He was in a toddler bed at 16 months and we just switched him to a twin bed last weekend because he wasn't sleeping well in the toddler bed. It wasn't big enough for him to be comfortable in during normal nighttime movement. He sleeps much better in the twin.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You could always get a bunkbed...then remove the ladder at night, that puts the little one on the bottom and gives the older one some peace...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Keep putting her back in her bed. Tell her NO, it's bedtime. You need to stay in your bed. - We had difficulties with our two boys with staying in bed at night. With the first it took months before he would stay in bed and fall asleep. The second one LOVED to get in his brothers bed or try to play with him. It didn't take nearly as long for him to learn to stay in his own bed. It's a lot of work at bedtime, but has been well worth the effort. All three of our kids (4 ,3 ,and almost 2) now stay in their beds to fall asleep (except for the occasional night).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2010