What is going on with my 12 yr old?

My son was diagnoed with ADHD at 8 he is now 12. He has been on adderall since 10. Just recently he is showing more odd behaviors. He is not sleeping(dr. said side effect of the medication). So this I can undrstand. But what the docters can't figure out is why my son all the sudden has signs of parinoia. Why he doesn't want me to leave his side. I work the 11-7 shift and his grandmother (which he adores) stays at my house on the nights I work. For the past few nights I have been called home because my son has been pacing the house throwing hugh tantrums in the middle of the night demanding I come home or to go to the hospital. He even tried to leave the house in the middle of the night saying he was walking to get me. He acts fine during the day it just starts around time for me to go to work. He has never been his way before even when he was a toddler. What is going on??

jharve

Asked by jharve at 3:02 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Health

• I would say that it's probably caused by lack of sleep. When you asked the doctor about him not sleeping, did the doctor give you any advice on how to deal with it? It must be hard being on meds that make you unable to sleep. I would take him back to the doctor and find out what you can do, maybe change his ADHD meds... ?
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 3:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• several things come to mind first is a reaction tot he meds, i have two friends that had both their sons have paranoid/psychotic side affects from that medication. second did the doctor discuss timeof day to give the meds that would better help the sleep situation? and third is it possible he was misdiagnosed? and fouth maybe a different med would be better.

My son has Aspergers and he decided to start meds 2 years ago, with the medication he is on now he takes it at 8 am if he takes it anytime after 12 pm it will mess up his sleep schedule so it has to be taken with food first thing inthe morning. Another med he tried completely screwed up his sleep schedule so we had to switch. My best advice is listen to your son and ask questions about how the meds make him feel. my son is also 12 and has the majority of the say with his meds and i listen to him because only he knows how he feels when taking them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Have you looked into alternative treatments for ADD/ADHD?
    There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/tags/adhd-education
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by magnesium (we use a cal/mag/D) and fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010