friendship/roommate gone sour....

i moved back to california with my daughter and got an apt with an old friend everything was going great til the first month's rent was due and she turned it in late and did not say anything needless to say this was only the beginning we only had the apt for 4 months before i said enough was enough and broke the lease she just turned 22 and has no responsibilities other then work (where she makes at least $400 more a month than myself) and the apt (she got her car repo-ed the second month we had the apt) i am 23 and a single mother of a 2 year old anyways she was scamming me out of money and never paid her rent or bills on time we are currently in the midst of clearing out the apt and going our separate ways however, tonight i just found out that she had the landlord inspect the apt the day of my daughter's birthday party (which was a saturday....meaning she had to set up the appointment!) i found the papers with their ...

tasha080808

Asked by tasha080808 at 3:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• signatures on it no one notified me! what are my legal rights to make sure she is held responsible for her share of the cleaning and fees? also a friend loaned us her lamp for the living room which is gone can she press charges for a stolen $30 lamp?
    tasha080808

Comment by tasha080808 (original poster) at 3:08 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You probably are both responsible for the the fees. The landlord will probably go after the one that he can collect from. It will cost more than $30 for someone to file in court for the lamp.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• go to court..... was there a lease or a written agreement? you got YOUR rent receipts or check copies/money orders....? if ya do bring forth the fury
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I know when I had a bad roommate and I wanted her off the lease we both had to sign off for her to get off the lease. Our apartment complex wouldn't take her off without both our signatures. I would check your lease and with your landlord.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 9:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If both your names were on the lease, I can't see how they could hold you responsible for all the fees. Still you might want to talk to the landlord personally and tell him your side of the story. Sounds like your friend knows nothing about money management and needs to sorely learn. Check with your other friend about the lamp. Maybe she got it back already.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• thanks ladies the lamp was never returned to it's rightful owner and we had a month to month agreement we both went to the office and took care of ending our rental agreement however there are always cleaning fees like i said i am a single mother and i don't want to get stuck paying all the fees by myself you know i guess we all make mistakes and must grow and learn from them : / crappy people just piss me off!
    tasha080808

Comment by tasha080808 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010