How would you handle this?

I have had several very large expenses this month that ate into my savings account. I have a friend is a plumber and I have a fairly new upright frost free freezer that I was going to give to his wife. Now this guy wants the freezer plus $250 to buy the tools needed to fix the project. He says he will keep the tools. So, I have decided to call another plumber who 1, Have the tools and 2, He only wants $60.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm in agreement with everyone else who said you can't afford the $250 and should go with plumber #2. I'm just wondering: why would a guy who is a plumber need additional tools to fix a leaky faucet? There's nothing weird or specialized about that job.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• $250 seems excessive to correct a leak. Just let him know that you are not able to buy him a new set of tools to do the job so you hired someone cheaper, but still give his wife the freezer if you want. He'll get over it.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• first off, if you are giving it to them, they should take it as it is. you dont need to fix anything. if they dont want it you can offer it to someone else. BUT if you are trying to be nice and fix it for them then you can get it fixed the cheapest way possible and then give it to them. you have absolutely no obligation to buy them a working freezer AND new tools. ESPECIALLY if you have had things go wrong that is cutting into your budget as is. you can not help other people out if you can not even help yourself.
    laydekatrina

Answer by laydekatrina at 3:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• #1 is no friend. He is taking you. Cut the friendship and go to #2.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• my DH fixed our leaky tub for $15 (for tools) and 30 minutes on the DIY.com videos lol, but honestly $50 is much more reasonable than $250.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:56 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would definitely use guy #2... And I am not sure what crawled up #1's a** but he needs to get over himself.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• i agree use guy #2 if your friend is already a plumber than he should already have the tools. I have a friend who is an electrician who does work for us and he brings his own tools and i pay for materials and i feed and his family for the weekend because they come to stay with us while he does the work since they live out of town.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If they are a true friends, they will understand your need to hire someone that is less costly. When money gets a little tight we have to find the cheapest solution (within reason) and hopefully a friend would understand that. You can't make everyone happy and still come out on top. Only you know what you can afford and only you can make that choice.
    gailpen

Answer by gailpen at 4:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree with tootoobusy. Definitely not a friend. Go with #2.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• What I am asking this man, the plumber, to fix is a leaky tap in the bathroom tub. There is no work to be done on the freezer. I just do not have the need for a big upright freezer for just me. When I first talked to him and his wife, she said that she would be happy to get the freezer in trade for fixing the leaky faucet. I called my other buddy who is a plumber, and he as all the tools, he says $50 will be fine.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 3:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010