School......

Homeschool
Private (non religious)
Private (religious)
Private (montessori)
Public
Virtual

Which do you prefer and why?

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 3:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our 1st adn 3rd graders go to a very good public school. When it comes to changing schools in 5th grade we MIGHT consider sending them to private school (whichever one fits them best), but we will need to evaluate the school, teachers and admins before we send them to the new regional middle school.

Our children have high-functioning autism, and I am concerned about their making the adjustment to a large school and fitting in with the student body. There have been incidences with drugs and weapons brought in by other students. While those incidents were swiftly handled, I don't want to get the phone call that one of my sons has been injured!

If I feel as though they are developing good friendships who will follow them through school, and the admins truly "get" what autism is, they will likely go to the public school, otherwise I'll exercise my many other educational options! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• For myself, I prefer virtual/online. I like the convenience of it as well as getting to work at my own pace.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Honestly I could go with public or private (religious or non doesnt matter to me) I went to both private and public school as a child. For my own children i went with public and used montessori before they were of age for public school. Being that I have a child on the spectrum I have access to services for him through the public school and a team of people who work with him. It has been amazing for us to have those services without them my sons progress would have been much slower. For my other two children they like going to school with the kids in our neighborhood, they love the different programs that are brought into the school through grants and fundraising done by parents. I realize not all public schools are as great as ours, we are very lucky with what we have. I refuse to homeschool because i would be doing a disservice to my children who are all in advanced classes.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would prefer homeschool or virtual school. I'm all for learning alone so that we can get to everything else quicker.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:52 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It depends on the child. For my son a virtual academy is the best choice.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We home school and I teach at a private school. It really does depend on what is best for your child. For our kids homeschooling was the preferred method because the local public schools are going downhill fast and with more budget cuts they are going to keep getting worse. Private school is not an option for older kids (closest one in state is nearly an hour away) and virtual seems like a hassle (we tried for months to get our girls in when we decided to home school and after tons of paperwork we were told to try again next year). We really like being able to let our kids learn about what interests them (but they still have to do all of the core subjects as well).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We homeschool. It is just what fits well with our family. If our needs change it will be revisited.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I prefer public school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Which do you do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2010