At what age would you recommend international travel for children?

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 3:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Travel

• My first dd flew internationally at 17 months old. It was her trip home from being adopted from China.
    Her next international trip will be in November. We are taking a family cruise for our 15th anniversary and taking the girls with us. They will be 2 and 5 at the time we travel....our youngest just turned 2 on the 4th and dd#1 will be 5 2 weeks before the cruise.

Our girls are great travelers as we go visit the Grands a lot and it's a 7 hour drive. It is such a personal choice and really depends on the child. I have a ton of friends whose biological children traveled with them on their adoption trips...we had kids in our travel group as a matter of fact and those girls did great! They were 6, 8, and 10 when we traveled and they still rave about the trip on FB
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We took our DD to Israel and Egypt the day after she turned 12. (It just worked out that way. It was not planned.) She had a wonderful time. She missed two weeks of school, but the lessons she learned there far outweighed any lessons she would have learned in school. There were two young teens on the trip - a 13 yo girl and a 14 yo boy. All 3 of them got along well and all 3 learned A LOT!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 5:24 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Depends on what you are talking about. Kids(under 18) traveling alone? Never. With you? From birth.

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• 12-13 depending on the maturity of the child.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:41 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would do it as soon as you feel it right. Many parents start from an early age and others wait till they are teens. It depends what your willing to handle and how well traveled you want your children. Personally If I had the time and money to do it we would have started when they were babies.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We took our son to Japan when he was four. My husband had to go on business, and we figured it was a once in a lifetime experience. So, the three of us went. It was one of our most memorable trips. He is 9 now, and he still talks about it.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 4:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Well most of my friends are Army wives and they have made their fair share of going back and forth between the US and a foreign country (ie Japan, England and Germany) with kids under 4 so I know it can be done :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 6:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We flew back and forth between England and Canada every year when my kids were young, starting when they were a year old.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think it depends on your reason for travel. Traveling to visit family, I would do it as early as six months. Traveling to do sightseeing, I would personally wait until probably close to 10 or 11.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My kids have traveled domestically from birth. Internationally, my first international trip was at 3 years old. My son's was at 5 years old. My niece has been traveling internationally from birth (my brother and SIL lived overseas for a time).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2010