Why are my cookies comming out like hard shelled cakes?

I used to make killer chocolate chip cookies. The last few batches have been "cakey" on the inside and kind of hard shelled on the outside. I keep the oven at 375 and I moved the cookies up to the top, and really watched my time. Any ideas? Could I be over mixing my dough I know that happens on biscuits.

1nglmom3

Asked by 1nglmom3 at 4:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You're probably using an oven that your not use to. Or maybe the oven temperature is broken. Try using someone elses oven with the same receipe.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 5:56 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Like the above poster, it's probably a broken oven temp....I'd get an oven t'stat. They hang right off of a rack and give you an accurate gauge of the temp.

Are you above (or below) sea level? Sometimes that can affect baking as well :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Try 350, and keep the cookies directly in the middle. Cook them about half the time you are now, and check them every two minutes after that. Eventually, you'll find the right temp for your oven and be back to killer cookies.

I've had all sorts of awful ovens over the years and doing this with the first batch always helped.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 8:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would turn down the oven to 350 and I would cut the baking time down. I would also go get a oven thermometer later and check the temp on the oven you might have to have your oven calibrated again. I know that they can do that I have it done at my work all the time. It soulds like you may be over mixing also.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• trying lowering the temp to 350 and cook for 11 min
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• also what kind of fat are you using? butter makes crispier cookies, margarine makes chewier cookies, shortening makes cakier cookies...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:26 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If you haven't changed the recipe, it is probably your oven. Try lowering the temp and taking the cookies out before they look completely done to let carry-over cooking take care of the rest. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I usually bake my cookies at 350 for about 8-10 minutes. They will be slightly soft when they come out of the oven. If you let them cool they will firm up some. If you bake them too long they will be dark in color and hard as rocks as they cool.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Check your temp of your oven with an oven thermometer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Your baking soda/powder may be bad, or your oven may need to be serviced to get an even temp.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2010