What else can I do about my 5 year old son?

My son is 5, he is a great boy who is loving, sweet and very smart, but I don't know what else to do. He will throw horrible fits, screaming, kicking, hitting, slamming doors, scratching, throwing, and the list goes on. He does things to not only his 6 and 2 year old sisters, but to me as well. I do not allow this. I take away privilages, like his DS, Wii, and TV and he gets time out. This just doesn't seem to work. He is about to start kindergarden and this behavier worries me. My oldest daughter never acted like this, even though she is full of attitude. His father is army and lives in Texas so I take on all roles of the house. I can't just tell his dad to come, that is just not possible but I can't keep living like this either. He is already such a big boy, that one day he is going to seriously hurt one if not all of the girls in the house. Please note, if you are going to talk down about my son don't respond.

armywife81803

Asked by armywife81803 at 4:49 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know a lot of people would be upset with what I'm about to suggest, but having gone through it, I think I have little qualification to ask if you've thought about speaking with a pediatrician ??? My son was agressive....he did all those things you are talking about and he DID hurt someone...lots of people....all those parenting techniques you are using, I used too....and when my son was diagnosed with Autism and Fragile-X Syndrome, those techniques were thrown out the window !!!! It was my son's anxiety and misconceptions and misunderstandings that made him behave that way....certain disciplinary action made it much worse...time outs for example gave him what he wanted...an escape from the situation....whether it be a noise in that room, the task he was doing, etc.....taking away privileges just made me hated...he never understood it as a consequence to his actions...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree to talk with the doctor, but also his school. Try to call the school on Monday and talk to the principal or a social worker. Explain your concerns. Through the school system some development and social-emotional testing can be done. As pp stated, it could be anxiety, it could have something to do with dad being away. Good luck! Hugs to you and your son.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2010