Do you think this is true?

Things have been really stressful lately between me and DH with baby on the way. I called the hospital to see if I could get emergency psych as I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown. This was after we argued, but not solely because of the argument - that was just the proverbial straw... Anyway, the hospital called back when I didn't get there after a little while and apparently police dispatch - I didn't hear the phone and called them back. The police came out to talk to me and asked to talk to DH who didn't even know I called anyone. So later on he comes calmly to me and says I want you to know that CPS is going to be involved - not saying that you did anything wrong or said anything like they should but just because when the police get called and there is a baby involved then CPS gets called. I didn't even mention the argument because mainly I was trying to just get help for my out-of-control emotions (cont'd)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• (cont'd) which have been keeping me from functioning - I feel like I've been on the edge of a nervous breakdown for days. The argument was a just a symptom of stress for both of us. When the police came and asked to talk to him I asked them why since my call was to get help for myself. They insisted, and DH said they just asked him what happened and he said we got in an argument and I left and he didn't know I called anyone. The police were really nice - just wanting to make sure that everything was ok and that I wasn't in a bad situation in the house and also gave me some extra numbers for mental health. Do you think hubby is right about CPS? To me I think that's being paranoid...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Have you had mental issues before you got pregnant? If not, it is only because you are pregnant. It happens to a lot of women. The hormones go crazy..  You made a lot of problems for yourself for nothing. JMO.  You should have just went and layed doewn and calmed down after the fight with your DH.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't think that CPS should be involved at this time or ever. However, if you feel like this then I don't see the harm in you finding someone to talk too. Postpartum depression, (even though you are still pregnant) is very serious and you don't want this to get out of hand later on. Your hormones are going CRAZY and I'm sure you are feeling a bit out of control, but that is why you could try to learn some methods of how to relax and cope with any stresses or feelings you might think that you can't. Get hubby in on helping you with this, since he needs to provide you with more support during this time. Good luck and everything will work out.
    armywife81803

Answer by armywife81803 at 7:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I'm not a fan of CPS, at all, but in some cases, they are helpful. Just because they're involved doesn't mean they'll be overbearing, force you to do anything you don't want to, etc. Most likely, they'll offer you visits to a psychologist, and leave it at that. They may insist on post-partum visits with you and the baby just to make sure that everything is ok. Some hospitals have a nurse who comes to your house afterwards anyway to make sure you're adjusting well to your new family, and that the baby hasn't developed jaundice or any other condition you wouldn't necessarily recognize. If they are involved, it will likely be on an observatory basis- occasional check-ins or phone calls to make sure that everything is going ok. It doesn't mean they're going to swoop down and try to take your baby from you the second she's born. they want to keep families together, not tear them apart. good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• louise... this is not a case of pregnancy hormones and a bad day. this is days on end of not being able to function, not being able to go to the grocery store for example because i can't stop crying. this isn't just overreacting. i haven't been able to sleep more than a few hours a night in weeks, even with help of sleeping pills the ob prescribed. apparently you didn't read that the fight was just the thing that sent me over the edge. apparently you don't understand true emotional problems/mental health issues as opposed to drama and oversensitive people. i had chronic depression for years many years ago and i know when it's time to get help. i would say i hope you experience this so you understand what a shitty comment that was, but i wouldn't wish it on anybody.

as for the others, thanks... i hear what you're saying but my question is do you think that a phone call for help while pregnant will result in CPS involvement?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010