Could an employee use his religion to avoid working on saturdays?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm an HR Director...

If a person's schedule is changed after he or she accepts a position in an organization they have every right to refuse to work if it interferes with their religion.

The federal government has laws that say that employers cannot discriminate based on the following: age, race/color, disability, pregnancy, national origin, genetic information, religion and gender. (Depending on what state you live there may be others as well, I'm in CT and we also have sexual orientation, including transgender).

If an employee is not hired, is denied a raise or a promotion, is not treated equally, is not provided with training, is given a less desirable schedule or assignment, etc... or is harassed based on any of these things they can be sued and will be faced with huge fines.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:59 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a federal law that protects individuals from discrimination based on religion. Title VII makes it illegal for an employer to discriminate against individuals because of their religion in hiring, firing, and other terms and conditions of employment, such as promotions, raises, and other job opportunities.

Title VII also requires employers to reasonably accommodate the religious practices of an employee or prospective employee, unless to do so would create an “undue hardship” upon the employer. Flexible scheduling, voluntary substitutions or swaps, job reassignments, and lateral transfers are examples of ways of accommodating an employee's religious beliefs.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:37 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Maybe they believe it and maybe they aren't using it to get out of work.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yes. The law gives employees the right to not work on their day of worship. Employers must prove undue hardship in order to require them to work that day. My dad once worked for a company that required him to bring in the bulletin from the church service to prove that he was worshiping at church and not just taking a day off! :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It is called Shabbat
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 7:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• should have been brought up before hire

worked at a place , after hiring she said that she needed sundays off, all the rest of us girls had to cover our sundays and hers
    we went to boss, he made her work sundays too
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:54 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I am a 7th Day Sabbath keeper and yes, there is a law that allows us to be off on that...the 1st Amendment. It is a constitutionally guaranteed right. Even when I worked for the Post Office I was off sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. If I went for a job anywhere that would not allow it, then I would not find them worthy enough to work for and trust God to show me where to go that would honor it.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• "worked at a place , after hiring she said that she needed sundays off, all the rest of us girls had to cover our sundays and hers
    we went to boss, he made her work sundays too"

She had/has every right to take this the EEOC and file a complaint. If she is still working there and is being denied Religious Accomodation she can sue now. If she no longer works there she has up to 180 days after her employment relationship ended to file.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:04 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Not all religions have their Holy Day on Sunday. Some have it on Saturday.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think some places you work would honor that but most would tell you if you could not work when needed that they don't need you to work for them anymore. I'm not sure what the law is on it but they would find a reason to discharge you.
    t_lawson

Answer by t_lawson at 8:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2010