I think he is addicted to porn...what can I do to help him see this and maybe seek to get help

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 7:57 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• He has to realize it's a problem before he's going to get any effective help. Have you tried showing him how his addiction is affecting you and your kids? Sometimes showing them the honest truth is enough to get them to realize how bad things are. I'm sorry.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• How do you know he's addicted to porn?
    As far as seeking help goes, he has to make the decision to seek help himself. You can encourage him by sharing your feelings in a non-judgemental manner and being supportive of the process, and that's about all you can do.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• He has to realize he has a problem before he'll seek help. Its like any other addiction. If he remains in denial,you're not going to be able to help him

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Sadly, probably nothing. Men are like kids, the more you say no and you have a problem, the more they will want to do what you dont want them to do.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I completely know where your coming from. My DF was out of work for almost a year and while I know he was looking for work, there was times I asked what he was doing and he was very evasive. My ex hubby cheated on my so I have some trust issues. I started checking his history on the computer every morning. Guess What? PORN SITES!!!!! I downloaded a free blocker and set it to block all things racy, I even need a password to look at victoria secret. At first he still tried every day to get on his "sites". He would say things like, the computer is acting funny. There are some sites I cant get on. But wouldnt tell me what sites. Finally after about 3 weeks I tell him that the computer isnt acting funny, that I put a blocker on it. He thanked me telling me he didnt realize it had become such a habit. I told him I noticed a HUGE difference in our sex life because of the porn. Still have the blocker on the computer.
    JCGoneLoony

Answer by JCGoneLoony at 10:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Porn blocker idea is great but...these days porn can be accessed from everywhere! Work comps, cell phones, etc.
    I would make him an appt with a therapist. Have him talk out his issues.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• what makes you say that? what are your feelings about porn?did he ever watch it before ?need more info
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010