What is the problem with my son?

Almost every day he wakes up crying. He isn't even out of his room and is crying, fussing, just miserable. What a way to start the day. He immediately wants milk, or doesn't want his brother touching him. He is obviously not a morning person. I could understand if he was like this later on if something didn't go his way, but to wake up and immediately be cranky is just beyond me. So what do you do when he isn't even out of his room and mad about milk? Yes he is a high energy little 2 yr old, also has a temper and no patience to go along with this. Is it a phase or is he just going to be like this LOL Sometimes I want to put him back to bed. Once we get down stairs I tell him, I'm not listening to you cry and act like this, you have all you need, I'm going to the kitchen. After a short bit he comes out of it, but OMG.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When ours was that age, he was like that too (totally NOT a morning person, but up before the crack of dawn lol). He could talk pretty well, so I just started telling him that when he could calm down and ask politely, I'd be happy to help him with whatever he needed. For a couple of mornings he threw a tantrum when I told him that (and so I just left him in his room with the baby gate latched). It took him a while to calm down, but he would finally cave. By a month later, he would either ask politely for whatever when he first got up, or he would have some "alone time" in his room until he was ready to come and ask for help. He's 3.5 years now, and he is much better in the mornings... the few times he does wake up cranky he either wants cuddles or he wants to be alone for a few minutes. I think that patience is the key to this problem... Remain calm, even amidst the crying, and they will learn to remain calm too!
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 9:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Sounds like he is just going to be a cranky little guy in the mornings. I'm sure the crying part will fade as he gets older, but will probably still not be very pleasant in the morning. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:44 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You have trouble on your ahnds!!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 8:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Calmly and lovingly give him that time to "wake up" each day. Also, make sure he is getting positive attention daily and praise when he does things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would think that maybe he needs to lay in bed a little longer too. Sounds like the milk is to soothe him. Just take it with a grain of salt until he wakes up all the way and be sweet to him. Have you ever gotten up to fast and got a headache from to much light or noise? Maybe that is it too. I know the crying is not pleasant but he sounds kinda cute too. (I really miss them that age. They grow so fast) :(
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:14 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Just ignore it, he is just a cranky butt...LOL Let him wake up on his own, don't immediately comfort him. He might be doing it because he knows he will get everything he wants that way. Just open his door and tell him to come out...then give him hugs and kisses when he does.That's what I would do....good luck!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 9:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My 1 1/2 yr old is like that too.She wants to be up fairly early but is whiney and cranky until later on. She also is high energy(has to be moving in some sort of way all the time) and has no patience what so ever. I would have the milk ready in a sippy or bottle setting in fridge so when he wakes up you can take it with you when you go to get him.
    hgreen83

Answer by hgreen83 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• His room is not light or bright....so that he can sleep LOL And typically he is the first up in the house, so he wakes me then the baby up. I give him his milk and we lay in my bed and snuggle and he watches tv shortly. The milk is soothing, I don't care that he wants it (other than it's still only in a bottle, which as soon as the baby is off the bottle, so is he). I praise him and give him tons of attention, it's just me and them mostly. His pediatrician and professional friends of mine (from when I did work) say he is a smart little guy and looking to get a reaction, so to ignore the fits. Which I do, I just don't understand this morning "pisstivity" (as my hubby calls it LOL). Yes I have my hands full and I love him so much, I just want to help him, cause it has to be miserable for him to feel that way.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• LOL I have the milk ready, he just can't even wait for me to get downstairs and get it. Yep, zero patience LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Aug. 21, 2010