Is it normal for my 2 1/2 yr old to constantly be mean to my 1 1/2 yr old? Shes always taking toys and making her cry.

hgreen83

Asked by hgreen83 at 9:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sort of. it's sibling rivalry and that's something that you have to discipline her for if you want it to stop.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Is she doing it to get your attention? She may feel that the 1 1/2-year-old is getting more of your attention (which may very well be true, considering she's 1 1/2.) Try a combination of time-outs when she's just being mean, and giving her "just the two of us" time when the 1 1/2 year old is occupied or napping.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Haha yeah. My sister and I are 15 months apart (I'm the older) and I can remember it always being like that (except she was taking MY toys and bothering me b/c she was a fat kid and bigger than me). It's just what happens when you have more than one kid.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yes, my oldest is just recently 2 and then there is the 10 month old brother. My oldest tends to hit his brother when he is mad, whether he is mad at his brother or himself. It's looking for attention, reaction, and releasing frustration. I sit him in time out immediately and tell him No hitting PEOPLE, that is not nice. I am sure to not say Don't hit your brother. I make sure it's not specific to the baby but to say People. And yes, attention. I know I give lots of attention to both, but it's different kind of attention. And they can't differentiate between that. The older wants carried, since the younger is, etc things like that. It will pass....good luck
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I try to play with them all a little thru out the day but we also have a 7 month old who is definatley mommy attatched. I have tried time outs and smacking her bottom but nothing seems to work. I am lost at what to do. She also recently has began being mean to her grandma( we live with her) and myself. I have heard that children tend to respect the mom a little less than the dad( which has proven true with her). If anyone can help me I would appreciate it greatly, I love her to death but this has got to stop.
    hgreen83

Comment by hgreen83 (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• dont worry my 5m old has master the "i'm not touching you"thing with her 7 yrold sis. if the 7 yr old arm can reach out and touch the 5m old the baby screams and the 7yr gets yelled at until i watched one day w/out watching and saw that as soon as the baby thought we were not looking she would scream so her sis could get in trouble. it is normal what you are going through find what form of discipline works for her. for her it may be no mommy time(sounds cruel) with just you and her. she may have to share you during her mommy time. until she can be nice others.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 9:45 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Its normal. She 's probably jealous that the baby is getting more attention.
    Girlzmachine

Answer by Girlzmachine at 9:47 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It is natural that she would want to behave like this, but it is a tendency that has to be broken in her. At her age, when she did anything mean, I would pick her up and tell her that what she did was unacceptable behavior in our home. I would then spank her bare leg just hard enough that she feels the sting of it. I would give her two or three spanks at most. I would then tell her again that what she did was unacceptable in our home. I would tell her I love her too much to allow her to behave like that. Then I would put her down and go about my business. If she repeats the action, do it again. If you will consistently do that, she will change her behavior. It may take a while, especially if she is strong-willed. A lot of parents spank through a diaper or clothing, and it doesn't work. The child has to feel the sting of their disobedience in order to affect change. And only tell her once what you want.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:05 AM on Aug. 21, 2010