I was reading a parenting pamphlet and it made me wonder

I was reading a parenting pamphlet and I've heard before about one of the arguments against spanking is that "you will teach your kids it's ok to hit" and it dawned on me. I was spanked as a child and I NEVER thought it was ok to hit. So I started asking family, friends and co workers this question.

Were you spanked as a child?
If yes, did you think it was OK to hit someone when you were growing up?

Please do not make this a debate about spanking. That is NOT my intention. I am just curious to get a broader response other than my friends and family.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I was spanked as a child, and no I dont think its ok to hit anyone. I am not a violent person at all.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

**********

same
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:55 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It has a lot to do with the kid's personality. In some cases, I can see that it will teach the kid that it's okay to hit. I was hit as a kid, but I was also the kind of kid who figured out right and wrong on my own (my values and beliefs were very different from my parents for as long as I can remember on everything from religion to hitting to social issues.) I hit back once as a kid, but it was an extreme situation. And as an adult, I would resort to violence only if there was no other recourse (like if I was attacked in an alley or if someone tried to kidnap my kid), but in that situation, I would NOT hold back at all.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:02 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I was spanked and I didn't think it was OK to hit other people. That argument is uber around here though. I spank my kids and they know it is not OK to another person unless WE are playing like wrestling or something.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:13 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• yes i was spanked/hit as child... SOMETIMES. not often and it didnt start until i was older, but i was quite violent there for a while. ive hit my mom, ive got into many fights at school, at bars, on the streets, ive hit boyfriends, etc...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:17 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I was spanked as a child, and I don't think it's ok to hit. Heck, I've been called "the nicest person in the world" by one of my coworkers.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:20 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yep, my sis and I were spanked at kids and NO we have NEVER thought it alright to hit another person. There is a huge difference between hitting, beating , etc and a couple/3 swats on the behind.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I was spanked and never thought it was ok to hit someone.

I find it ironic that the majority of MY friends who do NOT spank have major difficulties with their children hitting!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• The only thing I got out of being spanked was "Wow...that hurts. I don't want that to happen again, so I'm not going to do *whatever* again."
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:09 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yes, I was spanked an no I don't think it's ok to hit. BUT, I agree with the fact that there is a HUGE difference between spanking and beating a child. My parents were foster parents for years and we had all kinds of kids in our home that had been through so much. I firmly believe that spanking a child is dfferent than hitting - how many kids do you see that go around spanking each other as opposed to kids who hit? Our kids haven't been spanked in ages, but they are 15 and 11.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2010