Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Are my bosses doing the right thing? (tax withholding question)

I work at a small mom and pop place where there is only 4 full time and 1 part time employees. We get paid in cash, but we get a receipt that shows how many hours, our rate of pay, and what taxes are taken out. When I first started working there, I asked for the W-2 form so that I can claim dependents and have no (or very little) federal and state taxes taken out. My husbands taxes cover both of our earnings. My boss has been taking out 25% of taxes on me. I have asked him 3 times for the form and yesterday when I asked him about it he says he wants to wait awhile before he gives me the form. I don't understand. Why is he not wanting to give me the form? I have worked at 2 other mom and pop places before and have never had this problem. I honestly don't think they know what they are doing because he has messed up my paycheck before. Any advice?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • Talk to a CPA or a tax preparer like H&R Block and ask them what you should do. This doesn't sound right to me, but what they are doing could be okay. We ran a small business in Kentucky for many years, and this is not how we were told to handle it.

    Answer by NannyB. at 10:09 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Actually, you mean a W-4 form. Not only should you have a W-4 form on file, you should be getting your checks in the form of a check with the withholding noted on the stub. I've never heard of peeps being paid that way. How do you know if he is even reporting the withholding to the government?

    Answer by WoodWitch at 10:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • WoodWitch, I honestly have no way of knowing. They have been in business for 2 years now and last year they gave their employees a 1099 but this year they are taking taxes out. I am keeping all of my receipts just in case.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Call the IRS

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • It doesn't sound right that you're being paid in cash. How do you even know you'll get a W-2 next January? You don't. So how can you trust that the right amount of taxes is being paid. By the way, I think there are W-4 available on the IRS website for you to download. Download one and take it in to your employer. And keep a copy for yourself.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

  • Talk to the IRS and get advice from them

    Answer by mamaofficer at 9:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.