How can I get my daughter to listen?

my daughter isnt listening. When she gets mad at me she yells to me in spanish?!? i didnt even know she knew spanish

Chelsea_LeBlanc

Asked by Chelsea_LeBlanc at 10:10 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Do you mean listen or obey? The book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen is great if you mean listen.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:12 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Her not listening isn't the main problem. The main problem is her lack of respect for you, and it's really hard to teach that to a teenager. That needs to be started in infancy. However, there are some good books available that might help you get a handle on the problem. One is THE AGE OF OPPORTUNITY by Paul Tripp and another good one is by Kevin Leman, and I cannot think of the name of that one right now.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:15 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• isn't listening about what?
    I mean is it like she doesn't listen when you ask her to do something? or is it more like she isn't listening to advice or what?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:32 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Shes not listening to advice or when i ask her to do something
    Chelsea_LeBlanc

Comment by Chelsea_LeBlanc (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• don't let her do what SHE wants until she does what you asked
    you can give her great advice- but unfortunately some people have to learn on their own it's hard to let them
    as for her yelling at you are you staying calm when she does it?
    I would just try to stay calm tell her you aren't gonna let her yell at you like that and send her to her room until she feels like talking or start grounding her from things...
    good luck
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:42 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• rolling on flooris she playing piano while yelling at you in Spanish???

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• liarI'm thinking that you are the 13 yr old daughter.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• No offense, but NO teenage daughter is going to listen to her mom's advice. Especially if it's unsolicited.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• she probly doesn't speak it either. Probly just doing it to irritate you.

OR you could act like you understand, pretend to get really offended at what she said and get right in her face with fire in your eyes and scare the crap out of her cuz she thought you didn't know what she was saying!

I did that to some German woman who was clearly saying something negative about me and I just turned around and said "You got something to say, Lady?" And she got all embarrassed and clammed up. Her SO just laughed at her. To this day I got no idea what she said, but apparently I was on the right track.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:27 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hi I'm a child therapist and I have been working with kids of all ages for about 12 years. 1st lets talk about the 1st question my daughter isnt listening. When a child doesnt listen to her parents it can be one or many issues. One could be they feel that they cant talk to you, that the parent at the child not too them, they feel that they have no voice. Or there are issues in the family that the child feels or knows of and are having problems with excepting or dealing with and acting out is a way to get heard or get noticed.

When she gets mad at me she yells to me in spanish?!? i didnt even know she knew spanish. You didnt know that your child spoke spainsh. Find out if its taught in her school and see if she has taken the class. Then find out who her friends are and if they speak it. Then ask her to teach you a few words. This could build a bridge between you too an you can come to some common ground.
    mochalatta20

Answer by mochalatta20 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010