Need to find a new Church. And want to Baptize the baby.

My son is 6mo. I only been to church twice since I was put on bed rest for my pregnancy about 4mo. pregnant. Both times I attended I has the baby with me and it was horrible and couldn't hear or see anything from the CRY room. The church I belong to was 45mins away and very large, no one seems to miss me and they is a new priest now. And my husband is now only home on Sundays and he never has been to church 'willingly'. I want to baptist my son but I really don't know where to start. Do I choose a church close to home? Do I choose a smaller church? Are there still churches with a nursery so I can accurately pay attention? I am currently Roman Catholic and willing to change I just really need to build a strong community around my new family.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you go to CatholicsComeHome.org and click on "Find Nearby Parishes" at the top of the page, you will be able to enter your zip code and hopefully find a parish a lot closer than 45min away.

To baptize your son, you need to learn when baptism classes are.  In my current parish, they are once every 6 months.  In my previous parish, they were by private appointment only.  You should call your local parish's office to ask when they are.  Also, they may want you to register yourself at that parish, which takes only a couple minutes.

Also, my current parish does have both a cry room and a nursery, but my previous parish did not.  If you can't tell by looking at an altenative parish's website, then you can call that parish to ask.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Start attending some churchs in your area. There are usually websites for churchs that give you an idea of what they are about , this can help you to decide where to look.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• A church close to home might be a good idea because it is convenient and you might see other peole from the community and get to know them. Visit all the churches in your town/area and see which one seems welcoming to you. When my MIL moved to a new community we visited a couple of church offices during the week and one secretary was so welcoming and showed us the church, talked about ladies groups, etc. My MIL now goes to that church and is very happy there. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:25 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My BF and her hubby recently changed churches. They went to several before deciding on which one they liked. Visit the ones in your area and see which one you feel comfortable with. I wish you luck in finding one that you are happy with.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Find a church you're comfortable with.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i would go for something close to your home and if you really want to be close and stuff you can help around and yes some still have the babysitting thing when i was a teen i used to help out taking care of the kids during the spanish mass i would go to the english and the spanish i would take care of the little kids. and to baptize your baby you can ask the priest after or before a mass and he will tell you where to go usually its right next to the church or in another part of the church so you can always ask usually thye tell you to go 3 or 4 moonths before the expected date you want. and you would have to sign the papers get your godparents and sometimes they make you go to one meeting or a couple meetings to talk about the meaning of it and everything about it how it will be and what you need to do that day best of lucks
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2010