My parents 25th wedding annerviserty.... family tree project.

I have a VERY large extended family. And my mom had make a comment almost a year ago about want a family tree piece of art work for her house. I am a crafter and I think I can do it. I have nearly a year to complete this project. Can anyone ofter suggestions on where to start? I've already spoke to my grandmothers and I email my dad for photos (and told him not to tell mom).

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• There are wonderful sites to help you fill in the tree. I've been doing genealogy for about 10 years and the internet has come a long way and the information out there is extensive. Start at Rootsweb and do the free route first. If you really want to get great stuff, Ancestry.com is a pay service but you can use it for free at your local library. As for the artwork... I actually bought a book that you fill out by hand, but the scrapbook department at any craft store can help you. You can also download free software at some of the sites that will take all your information and make charts and books.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:33 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Have fun, good luck, and remember that your other relatives are going to want photos etc. that you gather. So you have Christmas and birthday gifts lined up for the year also......a photo album of the "tree".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• google"family tree projects" nd start there. my mom was very into our family tree before she died and one day I hope to pick it back up. there are alot of free sites that help so look before paying. the craft part, if you can work with wood, a tree shape (large of course 0 would be awesome. what a nice daughter :).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:30 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Oh... I almost forgot... genealogy is a highly addictive scavenger hunt. Mine started with a simple three generation tree for a boy scout project....it become a decade of trying to get as far back in time as I could! ROFLMAO.... I'm to 860a.d. in Wales... woohooo!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• WOW. Thanks for all the help. I already have about 300 people to put in just the one 1/8 of the tree. Sure glad I have a full year.
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• There is a lovely book called The Art of the Family Tree. It might give you some ideas and you might be able to adapt one of the projects to fit your giant tree. Wow - 300. I cannot imagine that. We've have pieces of my side going back to the mid 1800's but it is fairly small. DH's family is also small until you get to the 2nd and 3rd cousins who are on their grand and great grand children, then it gets scary.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:48 AM on Aug. 21, 2010

• OK, it seems like you have a huge family, but here are the family tree projects I have done in the past. Hand painted mural of a tree on a large wall. Family photos in all sepia tones in mismatched (but all same color) frames - I spray painted all of the frames black). King sized quilt with a large tree and each person's embroidered on a leaf. Family tree Christmas ornaments I made for MIL - each grand & great grand child in a frame with the name and year stitched on the back (I thought they turned out great, but she gave them away saying she had too many Christmas ornaments already) Family signature pillows or quilt or both - have family members sign fabric (we did this at several holidays to get as many as possible) then embroidered over the signatures. I made throw pillows for every family and a quilt for my great grandma. Family pictures framed scrapbook page - just like a scrapbook but hangs on the wall.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I just got some more info from my other grandmother and I have info back to 1829.
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010