How do I get my daughter to eat?

She's 5. I don't even require eating super healthy. Just eating. We fight before and during every meal. She's never hungry and she's not just a picky eater when it comes to healthy food, she doesn't even like what most 5-yr-olds like.

And it's not like I can say "if you eat your food I'll give you ice-cream" because she's not a big fan of that either..

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 12:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't get to concerned sometimes your just not hungry. When she gets hungry she'll eat. If she starts losing weight or other health problems then call the doc. Make sure she takes vitamins to suppliment anything she may not be getting properly. Otherwise just keep plugging away at it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 12:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• dont offer anything else. if she gets hungry later, have her eat what she was suppose to have earlier.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Don't fight over food. You could be causing her to have digestive problems that make her sick to her stomach and not want to eat. My parents ruined my digestive system forever.

Take the pressure off eating. Let her go to the store an pick what she wants. Take her to buffets and let her pick her foods. After the pressure is off you can expand the things she is eating.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• oh and limit snacks/drinks. she could be filling up on those
    SabrenaLeigh

• Have you tried making her sit at the table for 20 minutes at each meal, regardless of whether or not she's eating? With my niece (who will always say she's not hungry,) if she's sitting there, she'll pick at her food and occasionally eat a reasonable amount. But we never mention that she has to eat, or comment on how much she eats or doesn't eat; she just has to sit and socialize with us.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• 1) Stop feeding her between meals.
    2) stop worrying about it. Fix her plate, put it in front of her. and forget about it. She only needs forty calories per inch of height per day, and that's not a lot of food. What she has learned, tho, is that her eating is a good way to get attention. She's in control, not you. This is never good.
    3) She will NOT starve to death. Just continue to put her food in front of her, and move on.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree that you should stop fighting about it. Many meals were ruined in our home because DH did this with our picky eater. I wish we had just put food on the table and if he wanted to eat, fine. If he didn't he'd make up for it at next mealtime. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If you can figure it out please let me know! My 3 year old is the same way!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• HAVE U TRIED PEDISURE ? HELPS WITH GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT PLUS IT'S NUTRITSOUS
    mamasloves

Answer by mamasloves at 12:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Has she been evaluated for a sensory issue?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010