How do I get a strong detergent smell out of clothes?

I bought some used clothes for my DD and the previous owner used some really strong smelling detergent on them. I have washed them, but it still lingers. She and I are both very sensitive to smells and this makes us sneeze! Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Use some diluted white vinegar in the wash load. It should  nutrilze the Oder. If the product oxi clean  is used it will help too. But I like the vinegar cause it is good on pet stains as well for oder. Hope this helps

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with the pp. Vinegar and baking soda will help remove the smell but it may take a few washes. Also dry them outside in the sun to help eliminate the odors more.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 3:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with both of the previous posters. I use baking soda in my towel loads often too.
    jennmarie77

Answer by jennmarie77 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You could also try good old fashioned Borax.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2008