is a UTI and a bladder infection thesame thing?

If it isn'twill themeds thedoctor gave me work on boththings? Also canI have intercourse if I have an infection?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Health

• No, they aren't the same thing, but I've been given the same antibiotics for both. And stay away from intercourse for a couple of days, but if you must, make sure you empty your bladder fully afterward.

I can't imagine wanting sex with a UTI.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Bladder infection and a Urinary Tract Infection are very similar, but a little different. The meds should work on both as they are specific for that area.

As for DTD, I'd say to wait, but I know I couldn't ;). DTD can actually give you UTI's if you don't pee shortly after. If your in a lot of pain, don't, but if your not, make sure you pee right after to flush the area clean (urine is acidic, so it can flush all the bacteria away). Just be careful and listen to your body :)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• There is Upper UTI (Kidney Infection) and Lower UTI (bladder infection). Any UTI is just a generic term for an infection ANYWHERE in the UT (Urinary Tract). In humans the (UT Urinary Tract) includes two kidneys, two ureters, the bladder, the urethra, and two sphincter muscles. An infection in ANY part of the Urinary Tract is by definition an UTI. You do NOT need to have the WHOLE tract to be infected to have an UTI. A bladder infection is just naming the part of the UT that is infected. Seeing the bladder is part of the UT having a bladder infection IS having UTI!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I went to the doctor by the way he says it is a bladder infection, but when I google it, it comes up as UTI
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• LOL I do, but I don't lol. DH and I haven't had intercourse, but one time in 2 weeks then this lol. SoI have been wanting it very badly for 2 days now and then this lol. I dought I will do anything because I am in pain, but DH was sick then I started my period and now this lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My 2nd DD has had enough issues with "both", and the last time we had a scare and I took her to the ER the doc there told me they are the same thing.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010