Recently my 21 month old had a tantrum so intense he tried to climb his dresser. He is teething as well. When and how do I know when the tantrums are abnormal or when they my son is just so upset he cannot calm himself?

Michelle1214111

Asked by Michelle1214111 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first thought is to ask if that dresser is anchored to the wall?

I don't know that there is a clear way except to just watch and see. Does he go into extreme fits regularly or was he just extra made this time?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• *mad lol
    Jessica157

• Children can have episodes so bad that they hold their breath and pass out. This won't hurt them as long as they don't injure themselves hitting something.

It's important for you to learn how to prevent uncontrollable behavior in your toddler. Usually it occurs when they are tired, hungry, or stressed out. You can anticipate what your child is going through and change the situation. It may be you are doing too much and need to stay home more. Depending on the cause of the tantrums ignoring them may work. A 2 yo can't understand lectures.

Love & Limits is a good toddler book by Elizabeth Crary.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think toddlerhood is a really intense time for humans. I have seen toddlers freak "all the way" out and it is scary to see. How kids recover and how often kids fall apart is something to notice.

You can help by micro managing some of his stuff while he is sorting out his emotional toddler life. I try to have fruit/veggie and protein served at every snack and meals having two calcium food choices. I get in the habit of having no cals in drinks except for milk just to get kids to learn to chew and eat textures and tolerate tart and true food favors.

Run him! Exercise will really help the brain deal better. A winded toddler from running is so much easier than a winded kid from freak out crying (and the brain does get a kick from that freak out crying I think...better to start a new way to get that brain kick).

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• jessica is very right. anchor all furnature that could tip to the wall. a tantrum is normal for any child i would say. but safety is very important, we have all dressers, book shelves, tvs and stands anchored to the wall. at about this age(right around 2) i started teaching my kids that if they must have a fit they have to have it in their room. after a couple months of puting them in their rooms and saying you have to have your fit in here and come out when you are ready to talk, they started just going to there rooms n there own as they started throwing fits. also i started teaching them calming techniques like deep breathing or even getting them a blow up punching toy to take anger out on. we as parents need to provide good safe ways to take out agression and anger because we all get angry, its natural. we just have to learn the right way to deal with it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010