my 7 yo daughter is very active, yet she is overweight. i have done all the cutbacks of juices, snacks and those sorts of things, but she is still overweight. any suggestions?

lunchlady868

Asked by lunchlady868 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you brought this up with her Dr.? She may have underlying medical condition.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Little kids are not meant to lose weight. Their bodies don't want to, because biology is telling them to get bigger.I wouldn't focus on losing it so much, as growing into it.. Make sure her meals consist of healthy, lean proteins, good carbs, veggies, and reasonable portions. Stay away from HCFS and fake sweeteners, these mess with metabolism like you wouldn't believe.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Have you taken her to a doctor? My cousin was very overweight when she was younger, and her insurance paid for her to see a registered dietition. I wouldn't focus so much on her losing weight, as I would her growing into her weight. Change the whole way the family eats, get rid of all unhealthy snacks in the home, switch to skim milk, lots of fresh fruits and veggies for snacks. Get rid of sugary cereal (raisn brand has tons of sugar), switch to something like plain cheerios and had fresh strawberries for sweetness. Limit TV, and get her involved in activities. (if you already haven't)
    Tara922c

Answer by Tara922c at 1:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree. They go through phases. Assuming you've asked about it at her pediatrician well-check and there are no medical issues, I would take into consideration that restaurants in our country give us ridiculously huge portions. Bring her up and model eating realistic portions without making her feel restricted. In our culture it's a battle for balance, and I know your struggle. Take Care!
    Mariabeth67

Answer by Mariabeth67 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• How old is she?? They go through several body changes. My son would get chunky then he would SPROUT up. If your doctor isn't worried, then you shouldn't be either.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• UGH, sorry, I re-read your question and she is 7! Methinks I need to get my eyes checked lol. Either way, she will start hitting a growth spurt soon and will stretch
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• shes only 7, i wouldnt worry about it too much, but you can make sure she drinks 1% mild and eats low calorie but still healthy foods. if shes eating less calories and is active she will slim up. how much is overweight anyway? how tall is she and how much does she weigh?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• By overweight do you mean # of pounds, or actual "baby fat"? If it's just the number, she's probably got a lot of muscle if she's that active. If it's "baby fat", give her time to get rid of it, some kids don't shed it as fast no matter how healthy & active they are. My oldest is thin but heavy - she's in the 80th percentile for weight but even our doc doesn't think she looks like it - but she's pure muscle because she's always moving - she hardly has any fat on her except her face (she's 8). If you're truly worried talk to her doctor, but if she's healthy and the doctor's not worried leave her be and give her a couple of years.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I was extremely overweight by age 7...104 pounds in 2nd grade (I was an only child and my mother married and I was placated TOO much)!! It is at that point when I really got into swimming and joined my town swim team, and it soon became my passion. I slimmed right down, and stayed that way for the rest of my life even through two pregnancies and surgery induced menopause 5 years ago at age 37. I competed for over 20 years!

I LOVE my carbs...and swimming and other sports, allowed me to eat what I wanted--mostly healthy, and maintain or lose weight, and keep myself tone! I recommend introducing your daughter to sports, if she's not already...soccer, swimming, cheerleading are likely the most popular girls sports in your area, it'll give her a healthy outlet, boost her confidence and fun and social exercise!

At her age, if you incorporate a healthy diet and an active sport that she enjoys, she will slim right down! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It sounds like you are already doing what you can.
    When you say overweight - how many lbs do you mean?

Remember - the weight did not grow overnight, so once you have started her on a healthier routine, it will still take time to come off.
    And I agree - she will probably lose some of that weight once she starts gaining in height.
    Just don't make her self conscious about it. Help her make smart and healthy choices, and maintain her activity.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 6:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010