Prison dorms for people on welfare?

I just read this article. At first I thought of how that seemed like debtors prisions of old England. But, I think that if there were programs like this for people who needed them it sounds better than a homeless shelter and at least it's putting government buildings to use. What do you think?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 1:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is certainly an interesting idea. Not flawless and ready to go of course, but something some thought could be put into.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• As long as it isn't a forced thing, I'd be for it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Are they to be forced to live in these buildings? or is it an option? Is a family already down to be moved into a jail if they ask for help? Being poor is not a by product of being raised in a dysfunctional environment, all the time!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Where are the jobs going to come from? Displacing others workers? Government job creation? In the text of the article it states there is not funding available.....

The housing and education sound Ok, as long as it were a choice made by the recipient.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You're right about all the buildings just sitting scout mom. I was thinking what about old military bases.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• As long as it is an option for the individual and not mandatory. 

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• A jail environment has bad stigmas attached even if it was converted it would be unwise to house families there.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 4:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't think they should be forced to live there, but I can see how the jails could be redone into great housing options for those who are worried that their families might be on the streets. I also think this could be said for abandoned colleges. My mom's town has an abandoned community college that the state is still paying the upkeep for, but not using at all. I wonder how many government buildings there are like that.

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It sounds like doublespeak. If it worked as he claims it would then, great. Otherwise it sounds like a trap. It makes me think of the old proverb, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

Maybe I am just reading too far into it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010