Homeschool classroom?

If you homeschool do you have a classroom type space set up in your house or do you homeschool where ever? If you have a classroom, what are some tips you might have for setting one up? We are turning our large room upstairs into a homeschool classroom and I would love tips. I don't want it to be too much like my classroom at school.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 1:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• For my son who I was getting ready for Kindergarten we made a classroom in the basement. We had open shelves with bins, a library corner with a nice rug and pillows for story time, art/science station, big posters on the wall, I gave him one of my nice computer desks, bulletin board and chalk board. We had a weather/calendar station. I had gotten a book about Kindergarten at the library and tried to make it so he would be familiar with these things. I'm lucky enough to have an educators store around the corner, but a great deal of it came out of my craft room and the Dollar Tree. We decorated for the seasons and did a Pirate Theme for the summer, just like the library did for the summer reading program. He loved to go down everyday for class. We have a 10 in 1 game table, so I took the top section off and we used the felted pool table top for board games and pretend. We had a mocked up grocery store to learn about math.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We use our dining room area as a "base", with supplies, reference books, and a world map on the wall, but we do our lessons everywhere. My daughter works in her room, one son works at the computer desk or family room, the other one works in the living room or his bedroom. They are free to move around and get materials as they need them and I go between them to work individually.

I would provide plenty of visual aids on the walls, areas for art materials, reference materials, science project materials, etc. If you've got a computer that you plan on using for school, put that in its own area also.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• we set up a desk and a couple computers in a our extra room and we kinda do classes everywhere
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• we do classes everywhere,but we do have the living room set up some,we have weather charts,rewards charts, an art wall ect and mail box slots on the wall for the daily assignments but thats about it. If we had a real space I would fill it with books and bean bags, a few desks to work on,an art area and a music area. Still informal but a little bit more structured.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Mamallama I love your name - my kids are forever yelling at one another that their mama is a llama (since that makes me the llama I'm not quite as fond of it). LOL
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010