Blanket Training? IMO, this is sick...

Is this abuse or a legit way to 'train' your children?

Link below...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 1:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't believe in making my children live in fear. They know boundaries without the use of threats. I wore my babies until they were too big to carry any more and then I took the time to play with them and sit quietly with them to teach them what boundaries were. My kids are all older now, and none of them have any behavior issues. Now, my sister is quite strict and regimented with her children and they are out of control, especially when she isn't around.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It teaches parents to communicate with their children, teach them boundaries and praise their good behavior. I've seen some wonderful parents use this technique, those that do not spank. They use the technique with love and care and their children benefit from it greatly... I've heard of those that take it too far- but there are many parents in the world that do that without a particular technique to point a finger at.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Well, if it's effective with dogs, it must work with children. *rolls eyes. Yes, I expect to sit my young ones on a blanket, and have them not get off it for over an hour. Unbelievable.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Um... did people read or just assume. Because no where did it say that they sit there for over an hour. A few minutes at a time! It is no different than moms that put their little ones in the baby "play" yards or playpens... Only these moms have to remain a constant figure in the room, unlike those that drop them into a box and forget them.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I read it and when she talks about church training it is 60-90 minutes with her sitting watching the kids, switch in hand...
    "If the rules were ignored, the little switch was a gentle reminder of the importance of obedience." Have you ever been switched? Nothing gentle about it!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I didn't see anything in there about switching your child for getting off the blanket. Just switch the area around the blanket and say "no, no". It looks to me like the punishment for getting off the blanket would be up to the parents. So what is everyone having kittens about?

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Training is always hard, this is just a different form. Is it one I could see myself using? No, but that doesn't mean I don't see the positive aspects of it. If anything I feel it could be a great benefit for both child and parent in the long run. However, that is assuming it's done correctly and not in an abusive manner. As with any other form of training there is a thin line beyond which abuse is a question... But I don't see how this is advocating abuse, it's simply a different form of training than many are used to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• oh good grief! why isn't this woman in shackles and chains!!!!!! *eye roll, big time*
    i agree with sabrina..i see no where 'abuse' is even hinted at. there's nothing wrong with training/disciplining your child to be still and behave..it doesn't mean you are attempting to form them into robots you can turn on/off. there's a proper time/place for running free, and there's time when one needs to be contained, for lack of a better word. nothing wrong with this, its just different. did any of you ever consider this (or something as non-abusive) might, just maybe, teach SELF-CONTROL??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Wow! My kids got coloring books and crayons at church when they were little and my dad is a minister. No way would I sit there and treaten them with a switch while they practiced church everyday!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• reading now... but i do know the duggar family (19 kids & counting) use this method & she swears by it.. they are a very loving family IMO
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010