So last night FIL was outside with DD2, who is 3, came inside to get a drink,

left her outside alone, she wandered off, i freaked out, yelling for her, and after a couple of minutes, she heard me and started to cry.

MIL told me freaking out was wrong. Um.... ok... really? She said I scared her, and I should remain calm (when my child is missing and no one can tell me for how long and I was upstairs nursing).

Seriously? What do you think?

Oh, and then I heard FIL asking if I grew up in a bad neighborhood...um, last time I checked, cars drive through the good neighborhoods, too!

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with you... I would have been panicked and woulnt be able to control my "freaking out" ... and isnt the way you found her, because she started crying ( when she heard you) .... if she didnt start crying it would have taken longer to find her..

also we live in one of those "good neighborhoods" ... and just found out a child molester ( registered) lives right across the street ....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It is best to remain calm but scary situations get the best of us. I wouldve been pissed at fil.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Dude... I am with you. That has happened to me a couple of time throughout the years. Once while in a crowded mall, my oldest who was about 4 ran off and hid under a bed in JCPennies. At first I tried to remain calm, but as the minutes ticked by I started to cry and get louder and more frantic. Finally after hearing me cry, he came out. I think it is fine that I was crying, then he knew how serious the situation was. He never did it again.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Oh wow, I'm sorry they did that to you hon. I can only imagine what was running through your head. FIL should've never left a 3yo outside by herself, and MIL should've never said that you were wrong to freak out! I'm sure that you didn't scare your little girl, she probably started crying out of relief once she heard your voice ya know?
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I would have panicked too. I don't blame you at all. Your in-laws were probably used to different times when kids were safer, but still leaving a child that young alone is completely irresponsible. I would worry about leaving my kids there for them to watch if it were me.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• so sorry you had a scare, Loving, I know how awful that is, and then to have your ILs act as if you're overreacting? they were WAY out of line.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Any parent who would be calm when their child was missing is fraudulent.

Your inlaws told you that stuff to shirk off responsibility and to not be looked at poorly. They're wrong for that. Where do they think we live? Some Utopia? NO!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I dont think I would trust these inlaws too much...if at all. I know what you mean about being glad you scared her, I have done the same thing with my dd. It seems that she has no fear and a little bit of healthy fear is good!

Even in "good" neighborhoods their can be cars, dogs, and YES even bad people. I live in a very nice middle class neighborhood and decided one day to look up convicted sex offenders in my area....there were 3 within walking distance!!!!!!!!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• A three year old should never be left outside alone. Period.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Sure, being calm is best. But, most of us would do exactly what you did, and then proceed to scream at their fil for losing a kid. You don't just let a kid wander off, and then have no clue how long she was gone!!!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010