Celexa and Alcohol

I was just prescribed Celexa and have a girls night out planned tonight. Im not much of a drinker but I do plan on having a few drinks. Im just wondering if anyone is on it and has had alcohol with it and the effects. I know they recommend not to but if it isnt really that big of a deal to have a few then Im not gonna worry about it too much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Health

• Sometimes people are warned to avoid alcohol while taking Celexa. This is because alcohol and medicines like Celexa act upon similar chemicals in the brain. The concern is that the antidepressant will increase the effects of alcohol, whether this means increasing symptoms of depression or affecting motor skills.

If your healthcare provider allows you to drink alcohol while on Celexa, it should be in moderate amounts and only after you are aware of the effects that the medication may have on your body.

I would contact your healthcare provider for any more information. Good luck!

Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Exactly. =) I'm surprised you didn't ask this when you were prescribed the medicine. I am even more surprised your doctor didn't mention anything to you about it. A lot of medicines, especially anti-depressants and other mental health drugs, are not the kinds of drugs recommended for people who plan on drinking while on them. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010