She told me my son is going to be a killer because he has a toy gun...

My daughter wanted a cop play set that she seen at the store ( had handcuffs, a badge, a gun, etc) ... well a neighbor seen my kids playing with these things and came over to tell me that I am chosing to allow my son ( who was playing with the toy gun) to grow up and be a killer... I mean i will admit I dont love them playing with toy guns, but on the other hand they are not pointing it at each other or talking about killing.

Also, it also kind of annoys me because..my brother and I grew up playing with toy guns... I have never shot a real gun, or do i feel the need to, my brother grew up to be a sherriff ( and has alot of honors ) , and but has never killed anyone.

This neighbor has 4 grown children who she never let play with guns ( told me this ) and yet 2 of them are in jail, for armed robbery ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• She sounds like a real winner to me!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Ironic much? Ignore the bat! It is over protective not cases like her that breed serial killers
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• She is crazy. Playing with a toy gun will not make your child a killer. My neighbor is an assistant chief of police and he played with guns as a child. My cousin didn't play with guns as a child and is in prison for armed robbery.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Your neighbor can mind her own business, doesn't sound like she did a great job of raising her own kids. But, I would tell them that guns are not really made for play and even though this one is not real that we were going to put it up because all guns (even play ones) have to be safe. Also, let your kids know that guns are for grown ups so if they ever see a gun to let Mommy or Daddy know.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• lol. i think that if you teach them not to point them at each other then why worry. also i grew up playing with toy guns and my grandfather took each of us out at about7-8 years old to shoot a rifle to show us what a gun can do. not only did we learn how dangerous guns were but how badly it hurt us to shoot one, we came home with bruises form the kick back on our shoulders and none of us have shot a gun since.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• That's like saying if a boy grows up with a penis, he'll be a rapist.

A little out of proportion, really. In your place, i'd have laughed in her face.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I am normally someone who applauds someone looking out for the welfare of all children. But in this case, I think your neighbor needs to get a big ball of string to wind and unwind because she sounds bored!

I don't like guns myself, but it sounds like you have good judgment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree...The lady is a nut! Ignore her "advice". Also don't make a big deal about it, she is probably the type to make fraudulent calls to CPS. Just smile and nod.
    Or post this on her door. :p
    irony fish Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Ignore her, it seems like the more anti-firearms people are the more extreme things get. Its a toy gun its not like your handing him a real one and telling him to shoot people.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Oh wow. I played with toy guns as a child, and also shot real guns from a young age. I was taught a respect of them and how they should be used and not to be used. Me and my friends also played cops and robbers, and cowboys and indians. None of us are killers.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010