tieing tubes? fact or fiction

that if you get your tubes tied it doesnt really work as a permanent solution... i have heard it only lasts like 5 years?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Health

• no it is the only permanent and non reversible birth control, however a few surgeons have found a way to reverse a tubal ligation.... my stepkids mom just got a reversal done about a year ago but hasnt had any luck getting pregnant. she doesnt think it worked, but she was told to give it up to 3 years for everything to be all back to normal.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's a very permanent solution, but you CAN still get pregnant. One of my friends had hers done about 2 years ago and got pregnant this May but ended up having a miscarriage =(
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• There are a number of different procedures, but they don't generally cut and tie, anymore. That and burning were actually the procedures with the highest "fail rate". What is usually done these days is just clamping the falopian tubes with titanium clamps.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• it's considered permanent, but as others have mentioned, it's not full proof. I got pregnant last year after having it done 10 years earlier. i totally regret it since I've had so many problems since.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• how did she get pregnant? 0.0 oh no
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• IT is permanent but was all birth control, the only 100% option is abstinence. A tubal ligation is sometimes reversible with another surgery.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's permanent, but like Glamourina said there can be those times when oddities happen. It really is true that the only 100% BC method is abstinence.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It is a permanent form of birth control, however it is not fail proof. You CAN still become pregnant. It occurs in approximately 1 in every 400 procedures. Approximately 60% of those pregnancies are tubal, and must be terminated because they are not viable.

I had a TL 3 years ago, and last year experienced a tubal pregnancy which spontaneously miscarried. It can happen.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's permanent, but I had a friend who got pregnant after getting a tubal, so it is possible. There also a higher possibility of it being a tubal pregnancy (I think that's what it's called) if you do get pregnant.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• it is permenant. It's the IUD Mirena that only lasts for 5 years.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2010