Did Your Relationship Change w/Your Mother & /or Daughter After Having Baby?

Mine did some with my Mother, except when my son got a little bigger it was a damed if you do, damed if you don't, sort of thing a lot of the time. My DD and I got closer, I learned from my Mother what NOT to do. If I'm asked for advise I gladly give it to her, she's the Mother & now has 4, she's quite capable of making the right decisions herself.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I've become much closer w/ my mom & have apologized frequently for the little shit I was as a teenager. I'm dreading my dd's teen years as I'm sure they'll be payback for what I put my parents thru. Now I understand all the stuff she was trying to tell me.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yes, mine did. My mother used to tell me "I'd understand more when I was a parent." and it's true. I understand that she was an even crappier parent.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My mom and I have gotten much much closer since I had my son. I needed her help so much in the beginning, and she was very supportive. She is a fantastic grandma and I wish we lived closer to her.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Mine did. It got a lot better after my first was born. Both of us knew what it meant to love someone more than ourselves and I understood my mom's decisions so much better after my baby was born. We did have our disagreements, and it got a little more strained after my DS was born. I nursed him, and my mom was completely against nursing. I have no idea why. Anyway, she never really bonded with my DS as much as she did with my DD. But that is a completely different story. But yes and no.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My mother and I have always had a good relationship but once i had my DD her and I have gotten closer and for my father and I him and I have always been very,very, very close and for him to see me as a mother has just made his view on me so much closer and I love seeing my parents with all 5 of there grandchildren is just a wonderful thing. I just love it every minute.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My mom & I didn't have a good relationship before I had my DD but now, we are VERY close. She is also an amazing grandma & loves my DD so much. She even cried one day because she says she doesn't ever NOT want to be able to see her. She has supported every decision I have made as a mother, including being the only one who supported my decision to breastfeed although she never did. All in all, our relationship has done a complete 360 & she has become the best support system I have!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I am at a point where I loath my mother.... I asked her one day if she could watch my 15 mo old and my 3 week old cause I had to go to the hospital and I had to ride the bus to get there..... She got all offended and mad and was like I need a break. I was sick I had gotten MRSA from surgery at the hospital. How could she not watch them for an hour or so till my husband got home.... My mother was and still is a hoarder... so you know cause of how she was when I was little has made me the best mother in the world today :) She was good at times but also more so crap !
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• me & my mom always been close & we got even closer when i had my son
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Nope, but my Mom passed 3 years before she was born. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Not so much from having children, but my relationship with mom is much better since we have our own lives so to speak. She's never been overbearing with our kids, but always really helpful if I needed it. I can only hope I'm the good grandma when my girls have their own kids. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010