toddler bed or another crib?

so we are re-locating to Portland an we have a dilemma... our son is 8 months old an has his crib but its way to expensive to ship up there ( we are from so. California)

should we buy another crib? an make it a convertible or should we just go ahead an get a toddler bed? any advice would be so very helpful thanks! hope your all having a wonderful day

akalei

Asked by akalei at 2:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd's, 15 mo, in a toddler bed bc her crib was recalled (the one that was folding kids like a taco, not the drop side). There are times I really miss being able to put her in the crib & know she couldn't get out. Even if it was to pee in peace. Now she goes where ever she wants when ever she wants.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I was prepared to say toddler bed and then I saw how little he was. Have you thought of doing a pick and play or something like that until he is able to move into a toddler bed. I can't see buying another crib yet I don't think they are really ready for a toddler ebd until they can stand up and walk
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• he does stand an pull himself up.. an i was thinking the same thing!! if i get a toddler bed... hell get out an go everywhere or hell topple over... but a crib is so expensive until its a convert one... BUT! i did not think of a pack an play :) thank you!
    akalei

Comment by akalei (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• wont is cost even more to buy a brand new bed?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• you can buy one of those cribs that convert into a toddler bed. I did that with both my kids and it saves money in the long run
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I like the idea of a pack and play! That is a great suggestion. I moved all my kids to a toddler bed or normal bed around 15-18 months. You could do it at 8 months, but like others mentioned I am sure you would miss the crib at times! All my kids have had to be taught to stay in bed at bedtime, so I don't think the climbing out thing would be that big a deal. But the pack and play is a great suggestion until you move him to a bed.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• How are you moving the rest of your stuff? Why can't you take the crib apart and ship it with everything else? It'll cost more to buy something new I dare bet.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• You can find a convertible crib for like $300 and I think that an 8 month old is too small for a toddler bed.
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2010