camping suggestions

Ok weve tried taking my 4 year old camping tqice this year and both time my hubby has had allot of fun but i think m's just f child isn't. My hubby goes fishing but gets very short with my son when he wont sit still and wants to keep reeling in. I tried nature hikes but all my son complains about is his legs are tired and he doesn't want to walk anymore. He likes to swim in pools but seemed to hate the sandy beach and waters at the state park. I just don't know what to do!

Me and my hub love camping but if i can't find something my son likes about it to i'm afraid he will never like it. some ideas for activities?

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We go camping with our three 4 year olds. They love it! We bring their bikes and lots of toys they can just sit in the dirt and play. We bring water guns for hot days and have water fights, bubbles and bubble wands. I have also bought a little t-ball set before we went one time and tried teaching them how to play baseball. It is very challenging at times to keep them busy. I try to bring new things that they have never played with before too. Doesn't have to be expensive. I will go to the dollar section at Target and save them for our trip. We go hiking, but we try to find a marshmellow roasting stick for later that night. When we are down by the lake I have two that love the sand and water and one that doesn't like water, so he usually plays in the sand. I bring lots of snacks, drinks and sand toys for him. Good luck!
    tripletmommy806

Answer by tripletmommy806 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• A lot of state parks have playgrounds. We have one nearby with a nature center too. Our kids really liked that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't have a lot of experience taking kids this young camping - we don't start until at least 1st grade with our troops. But, I did find some information that might help. Here are some links...

http://kids-outdoor-activities.suite101.com/article.cfm/camping_with_preschoolers

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Camping_Preschooler_First_Time/

http://www.allcampgrounds.com/articles/tips/camping-with-preschoolers.html

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• i would say let him cast out and real in if that makes it fun for him, if he needs a break on your hikes show him things around him he may not have noticed. my kids run wild when we go camping, i teach them about what plants are edible and the different animals and bugs we see. they build teepees out of sticks and explore arond our campsites.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• The state park has a nature center and i tried taking him to the things but he gets bored easy, he has ADD. So half way through the ranger talking he will start playing around. Plus most of the things they have are always 10 and up at this particular park
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• scout_mom- thanks this helps
    cassie_m- oooo i never thought of Teepees her might like that!
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• let him take a game he likes and ask what he wanna do
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I usually make an imaginary boundry when we get to the camping spot and include them ( my 10 and 4 year old) in what they think is fair and then they get to do nothing or explore or what ever as long as they are in the boundry. they both have ADHD this has seemed to help and any hiking and stuff like that i let them lead for the most part it changes it up and keeps them interested and we also make up stories or song.
    StephanAndCoral

Answer by StephanAndCoral at 9:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010