How do moms induce labour?

Waiting12

Asked by Waiting12 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should NEVER induce labor unless it is a serious medical emergency. When your baby is fully developed and ready to come out (A DUE DATE IS NOT AN EXPIRATION DATE!) then their lungs secreat a chemical which induces the onset of labor.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 3:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• ooooo are you ready to get that baby out? :B wanna know what I did? ^obviously lol ^ durrr you said up there lol. I power walked up and down the hall, walked up and down the stairs, bounced on the edge of the bed and repeated till it was time :) There is this theory that you drink caster oil..... I found out via a mid wife that the way that the way it "may" put you into labor is cause it causes you to have massive diarrhea (yummo) and if you are ready to go into labor then it "can" probably put you in labor. Otherwise you might not go into labor and be sitting on the toilet all night :( blah not for me!
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I only did it cause my baby was three weeks past due though
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Castor oil is extremely dangerous and can cause the baby to pass mecinium. No amount of artificial induction, chemical or "natural" will make baby come out unless they are truley ready. It is a waste of time and can be very dangerous. Something you can do it take Evening Primrose Oil both orally and vaginally to help natural soften the cervix. This will not "induce" labor though if you are not ready.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 3:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I tried all the suggestions... walked a ton; nookie; spicy food.... nothing worked. I was 5 cm dialated and 90% effaced for 5 weeks with both my kids, then finally got induced at 42 weeks with both.... both my kids were around 8 1/2 pounds and I'm very petite so my contractions just weren't strong enough to start labor up actively... but GL Momma!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I see people are at it again - always nice to see a correct answer voted down @@.

Castor oil is dangerous. Yes, it can cause diarrhea for you which can cause contractions. It can also cause your baby to poo in utero and breath that into its lungs. Babies are born when they're ready. No one stays pregnant forever. If you had a medically necessary reason, your doctor would be inducing you safely where you and the baby can be monitored to insure both of your safety.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I don't think OP meant to have a induced vs. no induction debate - she obviously believes in it - so instead of BASHING her for HER CHOICE just skip to the next question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think everyone is entitled to say and do what they wish in the pregnancy it is not (ginger0104) your choice and i was just looking for suggestions from people, if i feel they are safe for me then i will do them if not then i wont simple as that. Lots of doctors told me many of these things people are saying. Its only a question don't take it so seriously and i dont see whats wrong with someone suggesting that i go for a walk
    Waiting12

Comment by Waiting12 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• agriffinmom - OR you could actually have labor and diarrhea at the same time. That is a bad day in my book!! I think there's nothing wrong with walking to help things move along!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I walked and walked and walked for the last 2 months of my pregnancy not because I wanted to induce labor but because I was gaining a lot of weight. Though now I will walk and walk and walk for all my future pregnancies because with my first I had my baby 2 weeks early. Also my water broke on a Thursday night but was only a slow leak. So the next morning my midwife suggested taking 4oz of castor oil with a cup of oj and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. My husband actually found tasteless, odorless castor oil so it was not too bad. The castor oil did not give me diarrhea mainly because when my contractions were 4mins apart we got ready to go to the hospital and I think my nerves were really working and I threw all of it up. I had a waterbirth and only made very little BM's in the tub while pushing. But with everything I would ask the doctor, my midwife only hame take it because I was 2cm that friday morning and my water had broke
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010