how old is to young

what ages did u make your child do chores.. or do u do the cleaning for them...

Patientchild3

Asked by Patientchild3 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My one and two year olds have chores. They both have to pick up their toys that they get out, and my two year old helps sort laundry. It is never too early to instill a sense of responsibility in your children.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 3:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• 3. They'll be old enough to help put dishes away, clean their room, toys, and help with laundry.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• my 3 & 4 year olds help with chores.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I think that it is a type of thing that is gradually added to. When they are younger and old enough to understand then you add more responsibility for them to do. I think that at a smaller age then you start of making them pick up their own toys then later on as they get older you start with straightening up their beds etc. I started washing dishes at the age of eight. It depends on your child and what you think is appropriate for them to handle.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 3:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• by age 6 my kids were standing on a chair to do dishes and help with laundry. Your NOT doing your kids ANY favors by not making them do chores. In fact if they never have to do any you will have a totally ungratefull and unruly irresponsible child on your hands as an adult.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• When John turned 2 I made him pick up his own toys. At three I started him on helping around the house, & putting away his own clothes.. At four he asked to do chorus... & I made him start helping me make beds & such.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 3:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My boys were toddlers when we started getting them to clean up, by singing the "Clean Up" song, they're 8 and 6 now, and they clean up their toys and play area, make their beds each morning (just have to straighten out their pillows and comforter), they hang up their clothes after I wash and dry them, they help put groceries away, and set and clean up the table, load the dishwasher and put dishes away.

We're adopting a shelter puppy soon, and I will assign/schedule a bunch of responsibilities for them to follow in learning to help take care of "Onyx" She's a Black Lab/Newfoundland mix! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• its not too much to have them do it everyday
    Patientchild3

Comment by Patientchild3 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• some women say "they dont clean it rite"
    Patientchild3

Comment by Patientchild3 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• As soon as they are physically able to. Even my 18 mos 'helps' mommy clean up. It might not be pretty, but he tries.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 6:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010