What are peoples opinions on medications during labour? Torn on to use them or not?

Waiting12

Asked by Waiting12 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had an epidural with no regrets!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I was very happy that I was numb from the waist down when I had my son!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• One mom i talked to told me she doesn't remember her labour and she had an epidural! i don't want that i want to remember
    Waiting12

Comment by Waiting12 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My birth plan was really basic - I was going to do what I needed to keep both me and baby healthy. I wanted natural births and got them 2 out of 3 times. With my first the pain really got to me and I was hyperventilating thanks to the pitocin. I went with the epidural. the other 2 births were so fast that an epidural would not have been an option had I wanted one.

Go with the flow. Try it without the meds and if you don't feel like you can make it without - go for the meds. No shame in it. You do what you need to for you.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I had one hospital birth, unmedicated, and one UC homebirth, obviously unmedicated, lol. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be numb...it doesn't really hurt if you prepare yourself for it. It was a great experience, and I love having natural childbirth.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 4:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• There is a certain point to when you can no longer receive an epidural. IV meds never did anything for me. But I can tell you this, being induced is MUCH different than being in labor naturally (I had to be induced 2nd time because she was breech & had flipped down, so to avoid c-section, I had to choose the pitocin route). It hurts so much worse. So, I am totally pro epidural. I am not sure why your friend doesn't remember anything, but from both times I was in labor I can confirm I was sort of "out of it". There are things I do not remember, with epi & without. I think that was my body's way of coping with the pain & side effects of losing so much blood due to my chronic anemia. I remember the doctor announcing the head was out, I remember her being born, umbi being cut, & holding her for the 1st time. I remember looking at her & tearing up. And for the things I don't remember, I was very blessed to have over 200 pics taken
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I had epidurals with both of my pregnancys and I'm glad I did. It numbed it just enough for me to concentrate on giving birth and not be overcome with labor pain. I still felt my contractions so I knew when to push but I felt I was more active in the whole process. I knew if I wouldn't of had the epidurals I would have be focused on the pain and not on the births. I remember everything about the births of my children, especially my twins' birth last year! You should talk to your doctor and figure out whats best for you. Like one poster said, you can always try it without meds and change your mind later if the pain becomes too much.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 4:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I went in to it the first time with a pretty set idea of what I wanted to do. I didn't really want any pain meds, mostly because I hate needles. After 36 hours of labor and at 4 cm, my midwife talked me into getting an epidural to try to relax me more and help me make more progress. It worked that way for me, speeding up my labor and helping me to relax. It was a walking epidural, so I wasn't numb. I could feel my legs and could stand up, and I could feel when I was having contractions. The second time around and again at 4 cm, I got the epidural at 35 hours into my labor. This time I was completely numb, and it made my labor speed up so much that I delivered an hour after my epidural. If I had to do it all over again, I would get it so much sooner!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Does the Epidural hurt?
    Waiting12

Comment by Waiting12 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My first one hurt like a son of a bitch. My second one really didn't hurt.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2010