What do you mean as a parent when you say "I only buy what they need"?

Asking to moms that say this if you arent a mom that says this then you can put your own opinion of what you think when you hear other moms say this.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I buy what he needs as he needs it. If items from last year are still good(lunch box,backpack) I do not buy a new one. I buy him clothes as he grows out of them,not just because it is a new school year. Money isn't tight,it just makes no sense to buy new when the stuff isn't worn out.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• it means you don't buy them alot of extra junk. i like to buy just what they need. don't like alot of junk around my house.... toys they will never play with or clothes they will outgrow before they wear
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Ok, last year's lunch box is good, so why buy one for this year? Binder is perfect, no new binder.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I'm not a mom who says that. I have more than I "need" and my son probably has way more than what he "needs". But I think that it is good to give my son more than what I had growing up, I want him to have everything he wants within reason. As long as our bills our paid, food on the table, and gas in the tank then everything else can go to giving in to his wants. I think that having extras here and there is good. To me having something he wants is not junking up the house because once something is outgrown or a toy hasn't been played with in a while I will either sale it on ebay to go toward something else he wants or donate it to good will.
    Also I think moms who only give their children what they "need" but get themselves things they want are selfish. I understand some people can only afford needs and that is fine, but if you have lavish items and your children only have "needs" then I think that is awful.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I buy my kids what they need (as in they have clothes and shoes that fit, food to eat, etc). But I also buy them a lot of what they want as long as we can afford it. Why not?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I buy my kids everything they need a little of what they want. They get one pair of winter shoes and one pair of summer shoes and one pair of sandals. They get 4-5 pairs of pants and a dozen shirts that fit. WE do not have an over abundance of toys and I don't replace things that are still in good condition because they 'want' a new one. My son is using his same backpack this year. He has had the same jeans for a year and half. He will get new ones soon because he has grown. I see no need in spending money on constant pointless purchases.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• The last 'extra' item I bought them was last week a new set of play-doh and a toy from the dollar alley at target. I am thankful my kids are so used to not getting everything they ask for that they don't beg and when so when I offer they really truly appreciate it. You never seen two kids light up like mine when I suggested we go get some new play-doh and then offered to buy them another small toy while we were there. WE do that every month or so. A little special something. A new movie, a new game, a new special shirt... Unlike a friend of mines kids who expect to be bought something every time they go to the store and never even say thank you. I'm glad my kids are appreciative and grateful. Even if we had a ton of money I would still not be like that. They may get something bigger each time but no more often.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Is it because money tight?
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree scout mom
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My son gets everything he needs and many wants. We can afford it, he appreciates it, etc.

To me: It would mean only needs-clothes, shoes, food. No wants like toys, preschool, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010