How do you cope with OCD and your family?

My OCD is driving me crazy lately and getting to be more out of control. I am not sure what to do cause I dont want to pressure my family into doing it exactly how I want things cause it is labor intensive but I cant keep coping with chasing after them and redoing everything. AAAAAHHHHHHHH it is driving me insane!

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• OCD is a pain. I agree with the others, if you can afford it, see a therapist. I've always had a mild form but after my husband became disabled and my son died, certain things of mine got worse. I recognized this and have been trying to control it more.

I was recently in charge of the library's annual book sale and let me tell you, it drove me NUTS seeing how the people were trashing the tables. It was all I could do not to scream at them to stop making such a mess. I focused my attention on doing something else and it helped. My box of books was very organized and sorted. I allowed myself to go around once a day and straighten up the tables.

It takes time, but you have to train yourself to focus on something else. It's hard, but you can do it. Pick one thing and focus on making a change in that area. I've learned to let some things go. Hard, very hard, but I'm sure you can do it. Good Luck!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• why don't you see a therapist that specializes in ocd? they really make a difference and will help you improve your quality of life and your family's too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I have OPCD.. Which is a form of OCD... I get mad/upset when things arent cleaned right, done right, rules aren't followed ect. My hubby pretty much leaves me to do all the housework so I know I can get it done the way I want it... He helps. Like making the beds.... He knows I can't go to bed with the beds unmade.....

You have to do something to keep your mind off it... It helps when I go into my bedroom & read a chapter of a book, or Have John (my son) Help me while Im doing it.. That way I know its done & done right... As for the hubby, he helps with simple things. Like taking out the trash, theres only one way of doing it. or picking up toys, ect ect, or just taking John out of the house so I can clean....
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 4:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I'm the same way. I would go crazy if my house wasn't a certain way. Even when the kids are playing i'm literally picking up after them. It's taking over my life. But I feel like if I don't I'll get behind and it'll drive me even more crazy. I know how you feel girl~
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 4:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• If it's really bad, see a Dr. if your doing it a lot. It's usually caused by something that you may not have control of in your life, and this is the one thing you feel you have control of. Your probably all suffering, so I'd really recommend a Dr. or therapist.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• um yeah that would drive me insane it is just thinking bout it spiritedwitch... golly i am getting shivers thinking bout it lol
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Lots of self control
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 9:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2010