how to get my 1 year old not to bite

My son is 14 months and has never bit anyone or anything before just a couple days ago he started biting my leather ottoman nothing else. I tell him NO and put him in the pack n play for a few mins i tell him why hes there and then when i take him back out i tell him not to do it anymore or he will go back in the pack n play.. am i being too harsh? how do you handle this?
(he isn't teething he has all of his teeth)

AmandaBug

Asked by AmandaBug at 4:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you used a furniture cleaner on the leather that he may think is tasty? If not, redirection & verbal commands are about all you can do at that age. You are not being too harsh. He'll move onto something new & exciting to drive you crazy before you know it!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Nope nothing tasty on the leather. Thanks for the feedback :)
    AmandaBug

Comment by AmandaBug (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• All you can do is reinforcement. I am one who is for timeouts, but I think at his young age, time out might be a little much. You need to get on his level and tell him no biting. That it is wrong/not nice. Then divert his attention. I have a friend, more of an acquaintance, who used to put baby orajel on the outside of her daughter's mouth when she bit someone. Apparently, it numbs the outside of the mouth. Personally, I think that was overboard, but you can't tell perfect mothers that. Good luck, and it could be teething. I know my dd puts and bites on things that she shouldn't when she is getting her teeth.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2010