3 almost 4

Do your 3/4 yr olds get bored? Mine won't play with her toys or outside cause its' to hot. I play with her, but I want her to learn to play by herself. I take her places all week and today she is bored and wants to go somewhere. I am about to pull my hair out. HELP!

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 4:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I taught my boys how to play by themselves and together by using a kitchen timer!! Seriously, I started with just 10 minutes, and told them they need to play with their toys for a few minutes until the bell went off. Then gradually increased the time to an hour. By then, they were playing for hours together and by themselves.

Of course, we interact with them throughout the day, but now when I need to get things done around the house and outside (gardening, wedding, mowing the lawn, etc.), I can say "mommy needs to do ____, so you need to play with your toys or with each other for ____ minutes/hours, then we'll all play/do _____ together."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:04 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes, they need to learn to play by themselves. It fosters creativity and independence. My kids at this age loved playing in the sink. I would put a waterproof smock on them, fill the sink half way with water, put in all sorts of plastic measuring cups, funnels, etc and let them play. I sat nearby so no more water went in, etc, but they would stay there forever! Just one idea...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I agree with PP, it takes them a while to get the hang of playing by themselves, but it's a very important skill to learn. Just try pulling some toys out for her, leave her be and she'll figure it out.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I used to have a small blow up pool so when it got really hot out they could sit in the blow up pool and play with plastic dish sets or water toys especially for the pool. You do have to supervise though but she stays cool and has fun all in one. I would fill it in the morning and let the sun beat on it for a couple of hours and it would be just right by afternoon when it gets really hot out. It's perfect for small children. Then I would dump it later in the afternoon onto the garden and she can help you water the garden or shrubs or whatever plants you have growing or just give the lawn a good drink.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Mine got bored. He still does at five. Just let her play. Johns gotten very good at playing with his self, to help with being bored. Just leave her alone & she'll find something to do..
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 4:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Emily does the samething, I have learn that if you take a few toys out of the play from for a while and then when one of these hit pull a toy out and its like a new toy all over again. Cant belive thay are about to be 4, last time they where just learning to walk lol
    hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 11:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• lol i agree with lorikeet
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2010