Do you give yourself wants but only give your children needs?

do you buy more clothes then you really need? But only buy the needs of your kids and nothing more?

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, we all have our needs met but the kids clearly get more wants. I wish I was better at buying myself wants (not at the cost of depriving the kids of course) but I find it hard to splurge on myself when I know there is something the kids want.

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Nope. We all get wants and needs,within reason

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• No, it's more of the opposite at our house. I think that's the way it should be.

Answer by scout_mom at 4:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• No. I generally sacrifice what I actually need, so that they are not left lacking. I would love to have a pair of sneakers that still has tread, or a bra that isn't missing an underwire, or the elastic isn't completely shot on (the last one I bought was 2 years ago)... My kids get what they need, anything they "want" they have to earn.

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Yeah I'm with Butterflyblue19 on this one. Everything is within reason.

Answer by PunkyMommy06 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• No, my kids get way more than they need and they pretty much get what they want to. I get what I need and at this point I'm ok with that. I am enjoying my kids.

Answer by QandA at 4:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• We usually don't buy anything we don't need as it is. However, when we do splurge on a little something everyone gets something they want. I definately do not get more then the kids do, as they don't get more then I do. We try to keep it fair.

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• My son definitly gets everything he needs and most of what he wants. He gets way more than what I do, and I feel that is the way it should be.

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It's the opposite. I will make sure they have new clothes and haircuts before I do something for myself.

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• No I am exactly opposite. I buy my little ones their needs and extra and I typically only get my needs. Not to say I do not get a few extras but my kids get them first.

Answer by Melbornj at 4:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2010