DD just turned one and is sooo mad about the sippy...

My daughter needs to get off the bottle, she has lately been carrying it around in her mouth and chewing on it even when empty. So now we just give it to her before bed/naps and she is SO mad at the sippy cups and us! She is crabby and fussy all day and throws her sippycups, etc. She has been eating like crazy because she's not drinking as much formula/milk as she previously was. I've tried 5 or 6 different kind...hard, soft, Dora (her obsession) you name it. I haven't tried a straw one yet, I didn't think she'd be able to suck a straw yet...Any tips/ideas?

akoske

Asked by akoske at 3:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didnt think my daughter would drink from a straw when she was 11months old and didnt want the sippy cup and no bottle. But then my mother said "lets try the straw".. after a few tries (within 10minutes!) my little girl figured out how the straw works. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• We made a BIG deal about how BIG kids use sippy cups and straws. My son loved the idea that he was getting to be such a big boy and he easily transitioned into sippy cups. Bedtime was a little bit harder, but not terrible. Now that he is going to be 4 he is totally off sippy cups and uses little tupperware cups. I purchased the same ones that he uses at his daycare center and he is doing excellent. He likes cups with lids so that he can use them in another room other than the dining room, but I prefer all food and drinks stay in the above rooms. So this works for me too...
    cadesmom3

Answer by cadesmom3 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• *My post* I am going to try the straw cups on Friday when we get paid. I know they have a Dora one, so we'll see. I'd try the whole "BIG Girl" idea, except she couldn't really care less, especially at 12 months, about being a big girl! :)
    akoske

Answer by akoske at 3:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2008