My son is 2 1/2 and hes still not ready to be potty trained. Is there anything I can do?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest son wasnt potty trained until he was 3. I had tried every trick in the book!! Everything and anything that people had told me to try, or stuff i read didnt work. He just didnt care, he didnt want to. Right after his 3rd birthday he woke up one day and decided he was going to do it. Once he decided that, that was it. He did it, even at night time. I put pullups on him at night for 1 week, but he was going potty in the tiolet so i stopped. The light bulb just went on his head! lol So just be patient! Encourage him but dont try to force it! It will happen, like someone said previously he wont be going to school in diapers!
    My youngest son was potty trained by 2.5, but he still wears pullups at night. (he will be 3 on Tuesday).
    ILoveMyKeiki

Answer by ILoveMyKeiki at 5:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• JMO - Wait til he is really ready. I feel it's worth it because it is less stressful on all and won't take long. My first was ready at 2.5 years and my second was ready at 2 years 9 months. Get some of those cute potty training books and start reading them to him once in awhile.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Is dad around? Does he pee infront of him? My hubby was away for 4 months. Then at 21 months when he came back and my son saw how daddy peed rather than mommy, poof, he could do it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Just be patient. He is not going to kindergarten in diapers.

My older 2 kiddos were trained by 2.5 but mostly due to the pressure from their day care. Now that I look back at it, it was a type of bullying. My daughter regressed for a couple of months and they were not kind about it. Oh well, she is a happy, well adjusted 10 yr old now.

My youngest took longer. He had no desire to use the potty. One day, a week before his 3rd bday I noticed that he had been dry for 3 hours, while playing with the load of big kids around the house. I put him on the potty and voila! It took a week to get him fully day trained but he has rarely had an accident since.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Kids do things at their own pace. Be consistant in whatever you do but I wouldn't push to hard.
    t_lawson

Answer by t_lawson at 7:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Have you heard of 'the potty monkey'? He is a cute little stuffed animal that has his own potty and reminds your LO that he has to go every 20 or maybe 30 minutes. It's a buddy system sort of thing.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 7:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Don't push it, when he's ready you'll see the signs. If you try to force the issue before he's ready it's going to be really frustrating for both of you :) My son is 2.5, I bought the potty, some books, and "big boy" underwear. I ask him everyday - he's just not ready to make that step yet. Patience, mama :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2010