Homemade Cooking

I'm on a very tight budget and would like cooking more homemade meals. Is it true that this is less expensive than alternative cooking (froozen meals, ect.) And is cooking from a recipie book considered homemade cooking?

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes following a recipe is home made cooking. It is cheaper. My kids are glutten free from allergies, and even a pack of pasta that costs $4 is still cheaper than a processed meal.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I cook all of my family's meals some from a cook book but mostly I cook what I feel like eating =o) I don't but the frozen meals 1. because I don't like how they taste and 2. bc I think they cost way too much (not sure if they are more expensive but I think they are for what you get.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• it is less expensive because for many recipes you can use the ingredients for other meals. Yes, cooking from a recipe is considered homemade cooking! And the more experienced you get, the more you can make the recipes your own! It is also healthier. you know what you are putting into the recipe. Sure sometimes it may be time consuming but it is so worth it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• It may take more money to get you started if you don't have things like spices and baking supplies already on hand, but it is less expensive if you do it right and know how to shop for the best deals.

Yes, I consider cooking from a recipe book to be homemade cooking, unless that recipe book uses nothing but prepackaged/pre-made foods.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I cook from home and I think its cheapers especially since you get the leftovers, and cooking from a cookbook is definetly still homemade. You should go to Kraftfoods.com, they have alot of yummy recipes whole families can enjoy, use simple ingredients and are never exspensive.
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• check out www.food.com (it used to be recipezaar.com but recently changed)

They have like a gajillion recipes.. just type in budget on the search line.

Not only is homemade food cheaper, but it is soooo much healthier! I hardly ever buy processed foods any more. I used to be morbidly obese and one of the major factors of my ability to maintain my dramatic weight loss has been my avoidance of processed foods (i.e., frozen pizza, mac & cheese from a box, etc.).
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 5:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• And, if you plan a head for the whole week you can take your meat and really stretch it out and use it for more than one meal. It just takes some planning strategy with the ads. Once you get your pantry stocked, your grocery bill will fall because you shop in your pantry first and the store second. And trust me when I say anything can be made from scratch.... from your favorite bread to laundry detergent to Applebee's Santa Fe Chicken Salad! Go visit your library and indulge in some wonderful cookbooks and how to videos. Do not be afraid of the kitchen!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• Cost wise I have never compared. We have just always eaten 95% of our out-home meals from scratch. Just cuts down on all the processed artificial stuff, and gives you better control in what you're eating.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• When ground beef goes on sale, buy at least 5 pounds and try the recipe below (you'll have plenty of room in your freezer without all of the processed stuff).
    Once you make it, you freeze it in 2 cup batches and freeze them. Then.. in the morning you pop one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge, then at dinner time you have a 15 minute head start on dinner. It can be used for spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes, etc... very versatile!
    http://www.food.com/recipe/all-purpose-ground-meat-mix-31008
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• I have a ton of recipes that are healthy, tasty, easy, family and budget friendly. Send me a message if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2010